Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Electrical Help !!

Old 04-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Ktaco will become famous soon enoughKtaco will become famous soon enough

Ktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Electrical Help !!

Alright so I had posted earlier in the week about my back-up and linsence plate lights not working. Now on top of this i noticed that my park lights and dash light is not working!
Brake lights, signal lights, headlights all work. So do the abs, handbrake, 4x4, etc, etc, lights in the dash.
SO to me this seems to be a problem with the fuses. What ones should I check? And more importantly why are all my fuses blowing all of a sudden. The only mod I have done recently that involves electrical is the grey wire mod. I think I did a good job on that because I used heat shrink tubing on the splice and even on the little bit of wire that wasn't being used anymore, so I can't see a short coming from there.

Help Please.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
My uneducated opinion would be a fuse
Old 04-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
Ry1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Machinery Technician
Ry1984's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktaco View Post
Alright so I had posted earlier in the week about my back-up and linsence plate lights not working. Now on top of this i noticed that my park lights and dash light is not working!
Brake lights, signal lights, headlights all work. So do the abs, handbrake, 4x4, etc, etc, lights in the dash.
SO to me this seems to be a problem with the fuses. What ones should I check? And more importantly why are all my fuses blowing all of a sudden. The only mod I have done recently that involves electrical is the grey wire mod. I think I did a good job on that because I used heat shrink tubing on the splice and even on the little bit of wire that wasn't being used anymore, so I can't see a short coming from there.

Help Please.
if you are uncertain of what fuses to check, not gonna hurt to just go one by one and check em all. Don't forget about the fuses under the hood to. And don't count out that it could also be a relay.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
Sounds like a fuse is blown. I would look in your owners Manuel and figure out what fuse is blown and get a new one.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:37 AM   #5

Ktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
one dumb question

do you have a hitch and install a aftermarket light hookup?
if so unplug it and see what happens ;-D

and what fuses are blowing?

Thanks for the reply's everyone. I'm going into work soon but hope to be able to take a look at it afterwords.

I've read about trailer hook up problems. The guy I bought the truck off of had the 4 pin trailer hook up (which I'm assuming comes stock) and also has wiring hooked up inside the left tail light to power a cap that he had on the back. Those wires have fuses at the end to.

I'm going to look at the 4 pin hook up because last time I looked at it, the thing was pretty corroded.

I don't know what fuses are blown, if there are even any. I look in the box by the kick panel but they all seem to be ok? Any ideas of what fuses to check?

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #6

Ktaco's Tacoma Gallery
**UPDATE**

One of the 10 A fuses was blown under the hood. Once I changed it, all lights worked except my backup lights. I am going to replace the bulbs and see if that does anything. Only other thing I can think of is the switch on the tranny that closes the back up light circut when the truck is in reverse.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #7
Ry1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Machinery Technician
Ry1984's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktaco View Post
**UPDATE**

One of the 10 A fuses was blown under the hood. Once I changed it, all lights worked except my backup lights. I am going to replace the bulbs and see if that does anything. Only other thing I can think of is the switch on the tranny that closes the back up light circut when the truck is in reverse.
glad you found the problem, and hope the change of the lights works out!