1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Electrical Help !!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Ktaco, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Apr 14, 2009 at 4:50 PM
    Ktaco

Ktaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    03 Black 4x4 TRD SR5 Xtra cab.
    Grey wire mod, Deck plate mod, diff breather mod. K&N air filter. Toytec coilovers. AAL. Custom rear lift shackles. diff drop. Centerforce clutch. Superwinch LP8500 with custom "behind bumper" mount. Winch solenoid relocation with in cab winch control. 33x12x15 Duratracs. Aisin manual hub swap.
    Alright so I had posted earlier in the week about my back-up and linsence plate lights not working. Now on top of this i noticed that my park lights and dash light is not working!:mad:
    Brake lights, signal lights, headlights all work. So do the abs, handbrake, 4x4, etc, etc, lights in the dash.
    SO to me this seems to be a problem with the fuses. What ones should I check? And more importantly why are all my fuses blowing all of a sudden. The only mod I have done recently that involves electrical is the grey wire mod. I think I did a good job on that because I used heat shrink tubing on the splice and even on the little bit of wire that wasn't being used anymore, so I can't see a short coming from there.

Help Please.

2. Apr 14, 2009 at 4:52 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    My uneducated opinion would be a fuse

3. Apr 14, 2009 at 5:22 PM
    Ry1984

Ry1984 Well-Known Member

Member:
    From Texas, Now Miami FL
    Vehicle:
    01' ExtCab SR5 2.7 4x4
    K&N FIPK, Billy 5100 all around, 881's in the front, Toytec AAL
    if you are uncertain of what fuses to check, not gonna hurt to just go one by one and check em all. Don't forget about the fuses under the hood to. And don't count out that it could also be a relay.

4. Apr 14, 2009 at 7:12 PM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    Sounds like a fuse is blown. I would look in your owners Manuel and figure out what fuse is blown and get a new one.

5. Apr 15, 2009 at 4:37 AM
    Ktaco

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Grey wire mod, Deck plate mod, diff breather mod. K&N air filter. Toytec coilovers. AAL. Custom rear lift shackles. diff drop. Centerforce clutch. Superwinch LP8500 with custom "behind bumper" mount. Winch solenoid relocation with in cab winch control. 33x12x15 Duratracs. Aisin manual hub swap.

Thanks for the reply's everyone. I'm going into work soon but hope to be able to take a look at it afterwords.

I've read about trailer hook up problems. The guy I bought the truck off of had the 4 pin trailer hook up (which I'm assuming comes stock) and also has wiring hooked up inside the left tail light to power a cap that he had on the back. Those wires have fuses at the end to.

I'm going to look at the 4 pin hook up because last time I looked at it, the thing was pretty corroded.

I don't know what fuses are blown, if there are even any. I look in the box by the kick panel but they all seem to be ok? Any ideas of what fuses to check?

Thanks.

6. Apr 15, 2009 at 6:27 PM
    Ktaco

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    **UPDATE**

One of the 10 A fuses was blown under the hood. Once I changed it, all lights worked except my backup lights. I am going to replace the bulbs and see if that does anything. Only other thing I can think of is the switch on the tranny that closes the back up light circut when the truck is in reverse.

7. Apr 16, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    Ry1984

Ry1984 Well-Known Member

Member:
    From Texas, Now Miami FL
    Vehicle:
    01' ExtCab SR5 2.7 4x4
    K&N FIPK, Billy 5100 all around, 881's in the front, Toytec AAL
    glad you found the problem, and hope the change of the lights works out!

Products Discussed in

To Top