Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Should I consider the 2.7 for extensive mods?

Old 11-12-2007, 07:49 PM   #21
thenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud of

thenrie's Tacoma Gallery
It looks like I may have to pull in my horns a bit for a couple more years. Looks like I may end up in DC for at least two years. If you think there's not many places to 4-wheel in PA, you should look around DC. You can't even find a place to get off the road around there. Just too many people and too many cars! Hopefully I'll get back out west after that. I got my taste for big bad four-wheelers in Farmington, NM. You can't hardly beat that area for fun in the rocks, a short hop to Moab if you get bored at home. I'd like to try Rubicon one day.

My thing for going with the SAS, was not so much the weakness issue with the IFS, or even the flex. I would like to go with larger tires, 35s at least, and if you're going to have to lift, new shocks, etc., it doesn't cost a whole lot more to go whole hog and SAS it, if you are a DIYer.

Alas, looks like I'll be waiting a while. I got my wheels balanced and rotated in DC a couple weeks ago. The guy came out and asked, "Whatever possessed you to put those huge tires on your pickup?" I gave him a blank stare and wondered if he had the right truck. I'm only rolling on 31X10.50s with a mud tread. Goes to show you how far DC is from anything off-road .
Old 11-12-2007, 10:16 PM   #22
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
lol yeah i had a flat 39x18x15 mickey thompson in DC oh boy you should have seen the look... lol took it off truck had buddy drive me to gas station to get plugged....guy was like what did this come off of?...i was like ...umm a toyota tacoma....blank expression was looking at me! lol
Old 11-13-2007, 12:16 PM   #23
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
I lived in both NM and Montana in my early youth. Although far too young to consider offroading, or driving for that matter, I know the possibilities out there are endless.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:01 PM   #24
Oregon Alliance: Founder
A1CGuches is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Need to now situation
A1CGuches's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to A1CGuches
one thing you can do is take the rear carrier out of a v6 and put in the 4 banger...i personally havent done this but several of my friends have and they are extremely pleased.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:09 PM   #25
thenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud of

thenrie's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't need to do that, as my rear dif is already an 8" 4.30:1 elec locker. It's pretty much as good as Toyota makes em. Apparently my TRD has a "dealer only" option rear dif. Wouldn't mind a crawler or dual xfer case eventually though. From what I am researching, it seems people who use their pickups for dual-purpose (road and rocks) feel like a 4:30 would be fine for up to 35" tires. Just need to find a Toyota front with the same ratio and put a locker in it.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:13 PM   #26
Oregon Alliance: Founder
A1CGuches is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Need to now situation
A1CGuches's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to A1CGuches
good point...i am considering puting the front and rear ends from an 07 rubicon under one of my tacomas it would require quiet a bit of modification but i think it would be worth it in the long run.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:08 PM   #27
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
if you go dana 44 they make 4.27 gears for them... which is close enough... they allow for some difference.. heck I think factory some trucks had like 3.55 front... 3.58 rear due to same ratio not avail for all axles