1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What Skids to get?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by DSMJRV, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Aug 8, 2014 at 10:18 AM
    DSMJRV

DSMJRV [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    Corona, CA
    I destroyed my stock skid within a week of owning the truck.. everything appeared intact so i just kept it as is beat to hell.. my last trip to pismo i bottomed out a few times and I noticed a radiator leak.. seems my stock skid was pressed right up against it and the impacts caused a small leak.

i can pick up a used stock skid locally for about 40 bucks, but i think i would be better off with a stronger aftermarket skid..

i eventually want to get a full plate bumper and skid plates going all down my frame rails, but that is expensive... i want to peice this together here and there and have everything bolt up and work together..

i dont know what bumper or slider i will end up going with, so for now what is the most universal and bang for buck skids i can buy?

2. Aug 8, 2014 at 10:23 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
  3. Aug 8, 2014 at 10:48 AM
    BrownMike

BrownMike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    1999 Taco 4x4
    Long Travel, 5 Spd, Supercharged 3.4
    Sounds like your driving sucks if you did that in the sand. Ive beat the shit out of my truck from Ocotillo to Glamis, and still rock my stock lower skid plate (not bashed up) in addition to my own tube bumper/skid. Keep in mind these trucks take alot of abuse, but being reckless will kill them.

4. Aug 8, 2014 at 12:26 PM
    DSMJRV

DSMJRV [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    Corona, CA
    I destroyed the skid a long time ago on some rocks.. bottoming out on the sand just just made me realize I cant keep using this one unless I want to crack another radiator..

and dont tell me you have never bottomed out on whoops or hitting an incline a little too fast.. cuz if u havent you need to try harder..

5. Aug 8, 2014 at 1:28 PM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    If you want to go cheap and have a welder, get the stock skid and start welding plate and reinforcement to it. I have a friend with a SAS 4runner on 37s that wheels the piss out of it who will only install stock skids (where they still fit) because they conform around what your protecting, which makes some sense but i don't have the balls to try that.

6. Aug 8, 2014 at 7:27 PM
    dispatch55126

dispatch55126 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtracab SR5
    Complete OME kit w/ 881's and dakars. All-Pro Sliders, CB, HAM Radio and various other minor stuff.
    My vote is for RAT skids. That's what I have and they were a prefect fit. Whatever skid you get, make sure that they'll work with multiple brands of bumpers.

Products Discussed in

To Top