1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Soft Brake Pedal After New pads and rotor

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by YoTaVIdA, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Aug 8, 2014 at 5:35 PM
    YoTaVIdA

YoTaVIdA [OP] NWEST

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 Imperial Jade
    2001 Tacoma 3.4L non-TRD.
    I just replaced my old rotors and pads with new Hawk LTS pads and Brembo Blanks. I followed many threads on how to properly bed them in and its been about 50 miles now and the pedal still feels soft. I didn;'t mess with the brake lines when replacing the brakes and have replaced brakes many times on my older trucks. I decided to bleed them yesterday evening and still the same. THis morning i had my brother help with the bleeding again and his dumb A$$ let the MC run dry, while I bled. So i bought another quart of fluid and bled all the wheels and still have the same outcome. I dont see any leaks or twisted lines. If i push hard enough i can push the pedal almost to the floor. While stopping sometimes the pedal feels firm and other times it feels soft. Any suggestions? Has anyone had this issue after installing this same setup?

2. Aug 8, 2014 at 6:47 PM
    DSMJRV

DSMJRV Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    Corona, CA
    Are you running ceramic pads now?

3. Aug 8, 2014 at 6:55 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    master brake cylinder, fluid bypassing seal failing to build enough pressure perhaps.

4. Aug 8, 2014 at 7:30 PM
    DSMJRV

DSMJRV Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    Corona, CA
    Are you running ceramic pads now?

5. Aug 8, 2014 at 7:32 PM
    YoTaVIdA

YoTaVIdA [OP] NWEST

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 Imperial Jade
    They are Ferro-carbon pads. I bled them again one last time making sure there are no bubbles. I followed the DIY brake replacement on TW and my dad said I could have damaged a seal when I pushed in the pistons into the caliper. Could using to much brake grease on the back of the pads be an issue? One last thing, I can hear a clanking sound coming from the front when i apply the brakes. Sounds like the pads are loose. I've never encountered this issue before. Sorry for all the questions. If it is the MC where is the cheapest deal?

6. Aug 8, 2014 at 11:04 PM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    put the front on jack stands and pull the wheels. check to make sure the pads are correctly secured with the pins and retention spring (that piece of flat metal bent to fit). spin the hub and have the bro/dad apply the brakes and see if it grabs correctly.

7. Aug 8, 2014 at 11:55 PM
    YoTaVIdA

YoTaVIdA [OP] NWEST

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 Imperial Jade
    Thanks for the responses! I'll jack up the truck tomorrow morning before work. When I checked them today, I noticed that the pads were still loose and can be moved by hand. When I have replaced brakes in the past it was for an 80's runner, Datsun 510's, 80's pickups. I never had any issues:confused:

8. Aug 9, 2014 at 10:20 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    If all installed correctly I'd bleed all 4's starting in backdoing a simple "8 pumps & hold" on each wheel, make sure resevoir doesn't empty this method hasn't failed me yet..

Luv my yota likes this.
  9. Aug 9, 2014 at 2:39 PM
    YoTaVIdA

YoTaVIdA [OP] NWEST

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 Imperial Jade
    Everyone left for the lake early morning so I didn't have a chance to work on it. Can someone give me the right sequence to bleeding all four wheels. There are different sequences that other ppl have posted, and I'm not sure if I'm doing the correct one. RP, RD, LSPV, FP, FD. Sorry for all the questions and thank you everyone for your help.

10. Aug 9, 2014 at 2:49 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    right rear, left rear, right front, left front...

TWJLee likes this.
  11. Aug 9, 2014 at 3:34 PM
    ARB1977

ARB1977 It’s a beaut Clark

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB Prerunner 4.0L Blue Ribbon Metallic
    Black TRD Fj Cruiser wheels, TRD catback exhaust.
    For bleeding I use a motive brake bleeder. I've heard somewhere some times you might have to do a bench bleed. Remove the master cylinder and bleed it manually.

12. Aug 10, 2014 at 9:55 AM
    KdF

KdF Old Rednek Type

Member:
    East-ByGod-TEXAS!
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner SR5 TRD 2WD
    Only if you replace the Master Cylinder, and only on some Models. Do not jack with the MC unless it is the problem. Bleeding the Brakes and the new fluid should be all it needs if there is air in the lines.
    If that does not cure it, then you need a MC replacement, then find out if it needs bench bleeding when you buy it. The surest way to tell if it's the MC is to slowly apply pressure to it and if it goes all the way to the floor, then it's bypassing the inner seals then it's the MC.

13. Aug 12, 2014 at 5:50 PM
    surfer7333

surfer7333 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Minneapolis
    Vehicle:
    95 Taco
    6" suspension lift, header, cold air intake, racing brake proportioning system, 33' tires, 1.25 wheel spacers.
    Had same problem after lifting and adding aftermarket proportioning valve, make sure rear brake drum pads are adjusted correctly!! Adjust till u fill little drag then stop, mine are like a race car now!

14. Aug 12, 2014 at 11:55 PM
    YoTaVIdA

YoTaVIdA [OP] NWEST

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 Imperial Jade
    Update- I bled all the wheels today and made sure I didn't open the bleeder valves excessively. The Lsvp was the only one that still had small itty bitty bubbles coming out of it. I bled the LsVP for about 20 min and it continued to throw bubbles. Looks like like I got a lot of air in there. I didn't get to finish bleeding the rest of the bubbles out since I had to work. I'll finish it tmrw. The brake pedal still has about half inch of softness to it but then stops on a dime. They feel 95% better than before. :woot:The pedal also does not mush down while the brakes are pushed in. I'm guess I won't be needing an MC anytime soon. On a side note, while bolting up my front left wheel in a hurry to go to work I broke the lug nut bolt stud completely off :facepalm:

One thing after the next. Anyone know where to buy a new one? And the easiest way to remove it.

Thanks for all the help!!

15. Aug 13, 2014 at 9:49 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Just about any auto parts store should have them, & you'll need to knock the remaining broken stud out, after that take the new stud & start it in from behind the hub, if theres no room to smack it down into place dont worry just get enough of it sticking thru hub to get a lug on it , tightening down will pull the stud into place & notice they're splined just dont fuck it up & it'll go smoothly

16. Aug 22, 2014 at 11:30 PM
    YoTaVIdA

YoTaVIdA [OP] NWEST

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 Imperial Jade
    I have the soft brake issue again. I had my buddy that works for Toyota look at it. We looked at everything from bleeding the brakes, adjusting the rear shoes, and looked for leaks, but everything looks good. He said the brakes feel normal, but I refuse to believe they are "normal". My mothers 99 4runner and fathers 04 Tacoma feel night and day compared to my truck. They are firm and very responsive as to mine are soft and pedal needs to be pushed way down to grab. I don't think the brakes should feel this horrible after new pads and new rotors. My friend said the only thing left is to change out the MC and see if thats the problem. For a second we thought they had sent me the wrong rotors, but i checked the sizes and the rotors are identical..ANy more advice? Should i just buy the new MC?

17. Aug 22, 2014 at 11:43 PM
    skynet

skynet Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    Scattered 12g shotgun shells in the bed to deter tweekers from stealing my stereo
    Sounds like a bad square cut seal in the the master cylinder but I've been wrong before...

BluefinTaco likes this.
  18. Jul 27, 2019 at 9:39 PM
    Dufus

Dufus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Located in Colorado
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco 3.4L manual 4x4 SR5 - Imperial Jade Mica
    Mods: bent frame and sun weathered roof paint.
    Did you ever replace the MC? I'm having similar issues.

19. Jul 28, 2019 at 1:23 PM
    Luv my yota

Luv my yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    00 turd lift 33's
    Kings,total chaos uppers, Deavers, JBA headers, Borla exhuast, engine mods, DC power 270 amp alt, 2k watts of sound, gps alarm.
    You can crack the banjo bolts loose when pumping and hold the pedal while cracked, a lot of air can get stuck in the banjo bolts on the fronts, and still not bleed fully.

Whitebutler likes this.
  20. Jul 28, 2019 at 1:35 PM
    Whitebutler

Whitebutler No need to compensate!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    From up in dem woods
    Vehicle:
    06 black sand Perl access cab. 99 T4R
    33s and stryker440 10 meter conversion to 11 radio
    2x