1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

repair brake proportioning valve?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by travelfeet, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Aug 9, 2014 at 9:30 AM
    travelfeet

travelfeet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Troy, NY
    Vehicle:
    02 xtra 4x4 v6
    Bare with me, this is a bit lengthy

So I thought I was just wrapping up my rear suspension overhaul, and went to adjust/make a new proportioning valve bracket. The adjustable? shaft on the lower pivot (on the axel) sheared off when I tried to back out the nut. oops, so off comes the bracket, and I weld a new pin on it, and sister a new shaft on the stub of the old (I'm a cheap bastard) one. As I begin to examine the rest of the system I take notice how loose the whole arm is that goes from the axel to the valve, upon closer inspection, the arm is rusted off where it attaches to the valve (inside the rubber boot) so its just flopping around held in place by the boot.

Now prior to my rear suspension work, I have noticed the rear brakes tendency to lock up when I give them a sudden hard stomp (like when someone cuts me off) Mostly they have been fine however (no anti-lock obviously) in day to day driving.

So now I have removed the boot and the pivot at the other end of the arm (also sheared off but its broken anyway) and I am looking at the bottom of the proportioning unit. Protruding from the bottom is the slotted end of what I assume is the internal piston. The slot holds the whole pivoting arm, and as the arm raises an lowers, so does the piston, and so the pressure to the rear is adjusted. (correct me if I have this wrong please)

So to further test, I try to move the plastic end of the piston up or down... nothing.

My conclusion is that the whole thing is seized (its plastic, so I can't believe it should be harder to move than I would be able to with my hands), and if I dismantle it, it may not be repairable. Right now, I have rear brakes (they bled just fine when I reattached my brake line post leaf replacement) so I am thinking I leave it alone. I think they run about $200 dealer only, and a used one is a crap shoot (if I could find one, a quick search turned up nothing). Not to mention buying a new arm. I don't want to pay that for something I haven't even been using since I bought the truck.

What do you think, is this too great a risk to leave alone? or a greater risk to mess with? Anyone have one to sell me cheap? Any other options?

Thanks for you input.

2. Aug 9, 2014 at 1:47 PM
    ARB1977

ARB1977 It’s a beaut Clark

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB Prerunner 4.0L Blue Ribbon Metallic
    Black TRD Fj Cruiser wheels, TRD catback exhaust.
    I'd go aftermarket. Adjusting the arm up too much unless you have larger tires will lock up the rear end. I've 265/75's with about 2.25" lift and installed the bracket from bamf at the 3.5" lift setting. With very little effort I locked up the rear. I adjusted it to the 2.50 or so setting it takes a little more effort to lock the rear.

3. Aug 9, 2014 at 3:04 PM
    travelfeet

travelfeet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Troy, NY
    Vehicle:
    02 xtra 4x4 v6
    aftermarket arm/bracket? or aftermarket valve?

I am not worried about the bracket/arm etc... I can fab something for that, but I think the valve is also seized.

4. Aug 9, 2014 at 3:23 PM
    ARB1977

ARB1977 It’s a beaut Clark

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB Prerunner 4.0L Blue Ribbon Metallic
    Black TRD Fj Cruiser wheels, TRD catback exhaust.
    Do the brakes lock up with very little pressure? If they do I would I would get another valve.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top