1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Custom CAI kit idea. And questions about snorkel on a 3.4 prerunner

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by NightProwler, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Aug 10, 2014 at 12:03 AM
    NightProwler

NightProwler [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    So I already have a Volant CAI kit that has the box and intake tube. It came with an oiled filter to use but I really hate them and always clogs up the MAF sensor along with the throttle body. Mostly because I tend to over oil it though. Ha. But yeah I decided to try their Donaldson Powercore dry filter that claims to last 100k miles or so many years. It barely fit in the box but it worked great and no more dirty sensor or intake. I have since removed the box because I was working on my headlight retro a lot and just didn't put it back in because it seemed like it was a little restrictive. So it just kinda hangs there with the filter on the end like most other easy cai kits. I have been thinking about doing a custom intake but wonder if it would be practical. I want to make it pretty much waterproof too. Since I'm a little worried about water getting in there. With the box I had before it was kinda designed to be waterproof unless water actually got up that high wic h I never thought it would. Bit now that I'm not using it there's a chance that water could splash high and get sucked it. I realize a little water wouldn't affect it much unless it was fully submersed and sucked up a big gulp. But nonetheless I would like to make it fully waterproof. Here's what I have in mind...

Purchasing this 'universal' kit:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.autoanything.com/air-int...94E7UGqVgdjHqCOFF1w4wxkVE6othe0pU4aAr3-8P8HAQ

With this 'double filter', or 'straight through filter'
    [​IMG]
    http://www.volant.com/edetail.asp?ID=90&ptype=f
    and routing it from the intake going to the hole in the fender where the stock box was attached to, with the filter inline. I would then make a large cylinder possibly out of a big pvc pipe, cut it in half with a latch as to make it like a hinged piece so it clamps down around the intake tube completely covering the air filter. Also put some weather stripping on the inside diameter on each side so it makes a nice seal. BUT, the bad thing about this is there won't be any open area below the filter like the stock air box has or the aftermarket box I had in there for the water to go IF it did suck any up... But I may be over thinking this as I kinda doubt that much water would ever get that high to get sucked in through the intake tube behind the fender. I also thought about installing a snorkel too because of that fear, and because I live in an area that gets flooded out pretty bad occasionally especially during monsoons here in az. But then I realized that it might not work with rain. Unless there is some sort of feature on the snorkel that funnels out any rain getting sucked in. I haven't really looked into how those work yet.. Another thing with the snorkel too is I got a prerunner.. And some may think it's only practical on a 4x4, but again with the floods it would be nice to not worry about it and go through even deeper areas. Because I have gotten stuck at home once or twice before just because I didn't want to risk it being too deep and end up sucking up water..
    Anyways... I think it's a great idea but want to get some opinions on how practical this would be and if there would be any reason for concern with this setup regarding water.
    Or, should I just freaking leave it how I have it and put my box back in that came with the volant kit?
    This is what I have now:
    [​IMG]

I mean, how bad would it be if it was to suck up just a little splash of water but not enough to lock up the motor? And what if the filter gets wet too? Can't be good for it eh?
    Idk let me know what your thoughts are. I'd appreciate the discussion and debate about this setup I have planned.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  2. Aug 10, 2014 at 7:08 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Those Donaldson air filters are great filters!

3. Aug 10, 2014 at 10:41 AM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Yeah every time I took my filter off there wasn't one spec of dust in the intake tube! I think after a while whenever they need to be changed they start restricting the air flow pretty good. Seems like mines ready to be changed so I have another on order. Hard to tell if it needs changed though. The filter elements are on the inside so you can't really tell if it's dirty or not... I've blown it out with high pressure air and it seemed to help before. But I ordered another anyways since it was on sale for $78. They are close to $100 otherwise I think. But we shall see if there's a difference.
    Next time it's due to change I may go ahead and try this custom kit. I found some air raid individual pieces to buy in plastic so I may figure out my angles and order just a couple elbows of those instead of buying the whole kit as it's kinda expensive..

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  4. Aug 10, 2014 at 3:13 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    They can go over 100k miles without developing restriction. Last I heard, the one they are using as a test, has over 158,000 miles on it, and has never been cleaned.

5. Aug 10, 2014 at 4:50 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I wonder though in what kind of conditions that is in...
    Because I live on a dirt road and drive through dust storms and mudding and occasional offraoding. I'm sure that plays a part in its life. I just looked up my records and it seems I've put about 25k miles on it in two years. But it seems like this filter is being restrictive lately. Truck is having a bit of a hard time accelerating and is a little sluggish so I assumed it's the filter. Could be something else. I did just put all new tires on and ones size bigger so I know that's playing a part. But we shall see how she feels with a new filter regardless.

6. Aug 12, 2014 at 10:02 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Bump.
    Any opinions?

7. Aug 13, 2014 at 11:09 AM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    :confused: Well, I am, I have probably THE best dry filter available...
    I was looking for opinions on the 'custom' kit idea. And about using the snorkel..

Another thought I had was that I will most likely lose performance making the custom piping. Seeing as the cai box I have was designed and dyno tested for max performance. With all custom tubing and extra angles, it'll probly be more restrictive. The cai kit I have now is like, Idk, 2/3 feet long? And with the custom and a snorkel it'd be like 8-10ft of tubing! Hmm...

8. Aug 13, 2014 at 2:29 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I forgot about that advantage too.. it does help that the tubing is all plastic as well. I will never put anything metal in there. When I bought the truck it had an injen cai and that was metal. It got so hot you couldn't touch it till it cooled down. And the volant after I installed it, omg what a difference!
    Although I don't think it pulls in too much hot air. At least when yer driving down the road.
    But I think I it would be better through the fender.

How about the snorkel? Do those things funnel out rain water somehow?

9. Aug 13, 2014 at 5:26 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Hmm.. maybe I can just make a box to attach the fender. Then attach the filter and tubing to a hole on the other side. Or put the filter inside the box with a splash shield in front of it.. Well, I guess I'll just have to make it a project and see how it turns out. Seeing as it sounds like no one's done a custom kit before.

10. Aug 16, 2014 at 4:57 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Well I just put in my new Donaldson filter. Don't really FEEL much difference. But we shall see how mpg comes out. I think I may have another problem with decreased mpg. Maybe it's just my new tires, idk. I'm pretty sure my wheel bearings are bad too. That should be fun..
    But as far as my custom cai idea, think I'll pass. Just gonna put my box that cane with it back in. Maybe get a pre filter and call it good.

Products Discussed in

To Top