1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rattling inside the steering wheel?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by SmogSUX, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Aug 10, 2014 at 8:12 PM
    SmogSUX

SmogSUX [OP] No Money. No Love.

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma Manual 2.7L 4x4
    Wheelers 5-Pack w/ AAL, ToyTec 1" Shackles, 10" 5125's, 5100's w/ ToyTech Springs, Braided Steel Brake Lines, AFE Filter, BAMF Sliders
    Took my rig out for some fun trails and felt that there is a rattling inside the steering wheel or somewhere between the wheel and the actual rack. The steering wheel itself is solid and fine, but going off road I feel like there's some rattling/slop somewhere.

Truck has a new rack with inner/outter tie rods. All suspension is new except lower ball joints. Also need to replace my front axles, but that's about it.

2. Aug 10, 2014 at 8:25 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Could be this? Follow the diagnosis instructions in the page before you start taking things apart:

3. Aug 10, 2014 at 10:14 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Exactly this^^^
    I had the same problem. Couple tac welds and it feels great. No more slop/ chattering in the wheel now. It was actually really really easy to do to. Don't let the tutorial overwhelm you. Of course you need a welder or someone who can do it for u. Took me maybe an hour to do, taking my time as well.
    It may also be a good idea to lube the inner ball or whatever the heck it is with more grease. You'll know what I'm talking about when u pull it out. Have no idea what grease to use, but I didn't on mine and it started squeaking when turning the wheel. It eventually stopped and no longer does it. But yeah it was annoying.

4. Aug 10, 2014 at 10:16 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    On a side note, this led big o tires to believe that my inner tie rods were worn out when they weren't. Unfortunately I didn't realize that until after I replaced them and still had the chattering. Coulda saved me money and time if I knew of that thread earlier.

Products Discussed in

To Top