1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ladder Rack vs Yakima

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by billpete, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Aug 12, 2014 at 9:56 AM
    billpete

billpete [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hendersonville, NC
    Had a 2002 DC, now a 2004 DC.
    Hey Guys,

Looking at adding some external storage capacity/capability on my 2002 DC.

Mostly for the Skybox I have, but also for other things that I might want the extended length capacity for--lumber, canoes, etc.

Initially I was looking at putting 4 x Yakima cross bars on the top of the truck (2 x over the cab, 2 x over the canopy).

Then I saw a ladder rack that went "outside" the canopy and over the canopy and cab. I really like the functionality of this, and the price is about $350 cheaper than the Yakima hardware.

I also like that I can take the canopy off the truck, and still have the utility if the ladder rack.

Just curious if anyone has had any experience with ladder racks for hauling. I would purchase the additional crossmember for the ladder rack, and I am pretty certain that the 1 5/8" diameter of the ladder rack would work okay with the Skybox.

Any thoughts or inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BP

2. Aug 12, 2014 at 10:07 AM
    BVCOTaco

BVCOTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    BV, CO
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab SR5 TRD
    ARB Bullbar
    I would recommend the ladder rack if you are planning on hauling things like lumber as well as for recreational purposes. It will provide much more load capacity than the yakima system.
    I got rid of the ladder rack that I had on my truck and now wish that I still had it!

3. Aug 12, 2014 at 10:14 AM
    12thmanhawkfan

12thmanhawkfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    Access Cab 6-speed
    It's got some Mods
    x2 on the ladder rack. I currently have the yakima set up that you are talking about (2 bars on canopy and 1 over cab) and I am always hesitant to throw a lot of lumber up there. Don't get me wrong, I can still throw lots of stuff on my roof now, but not nearly as much as I would feel comfortable putting on a lumber rack.

4. Aug 12, 2014 at 3:51 PM
    billpete

billpete [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hendersonville, NC
    Had a 2002 DC, now a 2004 DC.
    Thanks for the replies.

I went to Lowes today and picked up a piece of conduit that is roughly the outside diameter of the ladder rack (1 5/8)

I will try that on my Yakima gear to see if it works.

I also like the ladder rack more as I would like to have the local fab shop weld a "floor" to the part over the cab, and it is hollow for passing wires through for lights, etc.

More to follow.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top