1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to properly use e locker

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by fouillard13, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Aug 19, 2014 at 1:57 PM
    fouillard13

fouillard13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Canadia
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 4x4
    I just did a tacoma elocker swap with 12voltguy.com harness and I am wondering what the safest procedure for locking and unlocking the rear diff is. Can it be unlocked while driving? Can you use it on high way? Can it be locked while driving?

2. Aug 19, 2014 at 1:59 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I always stop when I lock/un-lock the rear of my truck.

yes you can drive with it locked, but turning will be a nightmare and you'll hop a lot. I wouldn't stay locked while driving on the highway.

I was told you can unlock while moving, but you need to be going slow. I haven't tried it and won't.

3. Aug 19, 2014 at 2:01 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    stop vehicle
    put truck into N, then 4lo
    engage locker
    drive a bit, you'll hear a "click" from the rear diff
    wont usually engage right away, gotta drive forward or reverse a little

proceed to climb over rocks
    by the power of lockerskull
    keep climbing until you reach the moon
    you glorious locked astronaut

you shouldn't need it on the road
    when you disengage it, when you start to drive you'll hear another "click" and the diff lock light should go off

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  4. Aug 19, 2014 at 2:04 PM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    Driving locked won't be a nightmare, but it will be different. On road there's no reason (usually) to be locked, if you are you'll end up scrubbing the outside tire for every turn. If you do it a lot you'll eat a lot of otherwise useable miles off the rubber. On dirt it will just slide. On ice, it will be really interesting for all but a straight line.

For the most part, lock when you need it, stay unlocked the rest of the time.

For most selectable lockers you can engage and disengage at will, but you want to be going in a straight line and at a low speed so the axles are turning the same speed. If you're turning, stress and shock loading will do some damage.

5. Aug 19, 2014 at 2:34 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    So, I've only used the locker when I'm out mudding or in sand. I've been curious about using it while mudding. Most of my mudding is only in a flat dried up pond that turns to slick mud and I just go spinning around. Not really a lot of stress on it, except a few bumps or whatever from deep tire tracks. Should I be more cautious with it? It says only use it to get unstuck.. But I don't see how it could harm it if I'm just spinning around.. unless it takes a jolt. How much force would it take to break something?

6. Aug 19, 2014 at 2:43 PM
    TashcomerTexas

TashcomerTexas My truck is a whiner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD DC King Ranch Edition
    Use it before you think you'll need it. No use of it when you actually get stuck and the locker isn't engaged yet. Hence why sometimes you got to drive back and forth a bit.

7. Aug 19, 2014 at 8:24 PM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    Quite a bit. But a spinning wheel that stops RIGHT NOW carries quite a bit of energy. An open carrier actually safeguards a lot of moving parts. Thats one of the reasons you see a "just installed my locker" thread, followed a week later with a "how do i change a broken axle" thread :laugh:

8. Aug 19, 2014 at 8:30 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    accelerate to 60, hit the lock button, post results

9. Aug 19, 2014 at 8:43 PM
    tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ
    I'm betting nothing. Even with the gray wire mod, mine won't lock in until I'm under 5mph or stopped.

Products Discussed in

To Top