1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Separate exhaust pipes from each head.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by AlienBacon, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Aug 21, 2014 at 4:12 AM
    AlienBacon

AlienBacon [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Seattle, Wa
    1" Body Lift 3" Suspension Lift
    Does anyone know of the possible emission repercussions of completely removing the crossover pipe, and having a separate exhaust pipe for each cylinder head.

Assuming I installed a catalytic converter on the extra pipe, would the truck be able to pass an emissions? I live in Washington.

Also, it's 1995 3.4l Tacoma

My biggest concern is the absence of the driver side cylinder exhaust not going through the original pipe, would mean it would not pass through the O2 sensors. I feel like the amount of exhaust wouldn't matter to the computer, only quality of the gas...

Having a separate exhaust pipe from each head would be F'ing awesome!

2. Aug 21, 2014 at 4:27 AM
    TacoMitch93

TacoMitch93 Tasty Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Nova Scotia, Canada eh
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5
    You need a crossover regardless to equalize back pressure to either cylinder bank, otherwise you'll lose power.

I've heard the best cross over to use is the "H" rather than an "X". I have absolutely NO experience with this myself though.

4 banger 4 lyfe

Just "Y" it after the O2.

I personally don't really like the sound of V6's with dual exhaust, 3 cylinders isn't nearly as harmonic as 4, like in a V8! But that's just MY opinion, and it's nothing you couldn't un-do after you did it! just some extra work.

Edit: I lied, 300zx's sound pretty retarded. Post a video, I'm interested.

3. Aug 21, 2014 at 5:33 AM
    ARB1977

ARB1977 It’s a beaut Clark

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB Prerunner 4.0L Blue Ribbon Metallic
    Black TRD Fj Cruiser wheels, TRD catback exhaust.
    Anything is possible if you have the skills. I ran mine briefly with every thing removed to the first cat exhaust flange. Not very loud considering. It would be too much money and time to set it up right. If anything gut both cats and run a O2 simulator if you want noise.

4. Aug 21, 2014 at 6:25 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Repercussions would depend greatly on engine performance. With no O2 sensor to monitor the left bank, any problems that occur on the left bank will not be detected, as far as exhaust. For example if an injector was dumping too much fuel, the computer would not know it. Also, any emissions issues on the right bank would be trickled down into the left bank. For example if you were running rich on the right bank, but not on the left (for whatever reason) the computer would STILL alter the output on the left bank, because that is all it knows: single exhaust system.

So while it CAN be done (though routing the other pipe would be difficult if you have 4wd) it really SHOULDN'T be done for good engine operation.

Products Discussed in

To Top