1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

bolt on wheel spacers good or bad

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by willcarlton, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Aug 21, 2014 at 7:58 AM
    willcarlton

willcarlton [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    boydton va
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma
    3 inch lift bigger tires blacked out windows an backrack with low profile light an straight pipe exhaust with 3 an a half inch tips
    I got a 96 Tacoma stock with 31/10.50/15s on stock wheels and a friend gave me a set of 2 inch bolt on wheel spacers to use is it ok to run them or should I stay away from them...anyone out there that has done this or anything

2. Aug 21, 2014 at 12:45 PM
    drr

drr Primary Prognosticator

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Seattle-ish
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD Tacoma
    I've been running SpiderTrax 1.25" spacers for a little over a year now, no problems so far. 2" sounds like a lot - the farther the centerline of your wheel is from the mounting surface, the more load imbalance you're putting on your wheel bearings, hubs, etc. Luckily stock wheels usually have a positive offset, which decreases the load imbalance somewhat.

3. Aug 21, 2014 at 2:15 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    Are they hubcentric?

If not, 2" spacers are a stretch, now that I think about it, even hubcentric I would avoid in the 2" variety.

1.25" hubcentric is really common and a good compromise without putting a whole lot of strain on the front suspension components...

4. Aug 22, 2014 at 3:25 AM
    willcarlton

willcarlton [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    boydton va
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma
    3 inch lift bigger tires blacked out windows an backrack with low profile light an straight pipe exhaust with 3 an a half inch tips
    Well thanks y'all and no I think they ant hub centric but oh well I'll just want do it because I don't want to mess anything up with just wanting a wider look

5. Aug 22, 2014 at 3:50 AM
    JAGER91374

JAGER91374 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Des Plaines
    Vehicle:
    3 TRD O/R
    OME 883's and Dakars, OME Shocks, Gray Wire, Deck Plate, Blacked Out Chrome, RAT Skids, BAMF BPV Bracket, Toytec Diff Drop, Braided Extended Brake Lines Front and Rear, In-Dash Nav.
    As long as you buy a quality set and don't go crazy I think you'll be ok. I'm currentyl looking for a set of 3/4 spacers but the only ones I can find are Ebay crap. The 1.25 inch is too wide for me. I don't like tires sticking out past the fenders.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Aug 22, 2014 at 10:07 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    JAGER91374

Bora makes 3/4" hubcentric spacers for our trucks..

7. Sep 6, 2014 at 7:06 AM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    Just ordered a set of Bora 3/4 spacers to go with my 285/75/16's and some severely trimmed fenders. I concur keep away from the ebay noname stuff. Also I find on ebay that alot of those vendors are selling for prices higher than retail.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Sep 6, 2014 at 3:34 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    So ima be ordering some of these eventually. I am currently running wheels that are not hub centric. With 1/4" spacer "washers" in the front (has been this way since I bought it and haven't had any issues with it yet). My question is, do I need to get non-hub centric spacers? Or would the hub centric work? Seeing as my wheels fit over the hub anyways. So would it be better to get hub centric so at least the spacer is bolted on as a perfect fit to the hub? What's the reason for non hub centric? Just wheels that don't have a big enough bore to fit the hub?

9. Sep 6, 2014 at 4:34 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    I run 1.5" lug centric wheel spacers with no issues.

10. Sep 6, 2014 at 11:02 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Same here. 1.5" lug centric with extended thread lugs. Have flopped the truck and exploded two wheels off and all the spacers are fine still

11. Sep 7, 2014 at 12:50 AM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Ok so an update to my previous post...
    Back when I purchased the truck, there was a couple studs that were stripped due to the previous owner not using extended lugs, or using the bolt on spacers, so being a newb back then I just decided to get longer studs and installed those. Keeping the 1/4" spacer. When I went to discount tire (where I do all my tires services) they said they wouldn't service it again because of those spacers being a hazard. Soo, I've been going to big o tires as they don't seem to care. Well I just recently bought all new tires at discount and would like them to service it if/when I need them too because I bought warranties on them. Mostly so I can just drive down there and service it, instead of just hauling the tire in by itself. Just a convenience I guess. But I wonder if it's even worth it for me to buy spacers because ima have to buy and install MORE original length studs just to fit the bolt on spacers. And it would be an extra peace of mind that it's "safer".. What's your guys' take on this??

12. Sep 7, 2014 at 8:25 PM
    chasebrooks14

chasebrooks14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Dahlonega, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2008 Acura TSX (RIP LaToya)
    Mickey Thompson Classic iii, Green LED interior floor lights, After market Kenwood touch screen radio, 20% window tint, Blacked out bumpers and grill, blacked out tail lights, Pioneer door speakers, bed lined toolbox, LED tailgate light bar w/ reverse lights, Bilstein 5100 all 4 corners and top setting up front, Trd Coils, New 1.5" lift leaf pack and shackles, White gages with blue needles. 32x11.5 Cooper STTs, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers
    im running 1.25" spidertrax spacers on all 4 and theyre fine

13. Sep 7, 2014 at 8:53 PM
    teehext

teehext Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 PreRunner SR5
    x2, occasionally beaten and they hold fine

Products Discussed in