1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Would you buy a truck that shows accidents on the Carfax report

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by C.I.TR3, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Aug 21, 2014 at 5:26 PM
    C.I.TR3

C.I.TR3 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    WA State
    I have been searching and searching for a 4wd double cab in my area. I finally found one with all the features I want. ~130k miles but well maintained with all records. I was all set to pull the trigger until I ran the carfax and it shows two accidents. One says accident and the other says structural damage. The owner says that one was a rear ender and the other was when someone backed into him. Both were repaired at a local shop and he has the receipts for everything done. He says they were all bolt off / bolt on parts that were replaced. Both he claims were minor repairs.

What are your thoughts. Would you purchase the vehicle anyway? It really looks great and appears to be a pretty good price.

Thanks for the help.

2. Aug 21, 2014 at 5:34 PM
    Tjsingle26

Tjsingle26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma xtra cab 4x4
    Ehhh, personally I would stay away...

3. Aug 21, 2014 at 5:49 PM
    05taco2.7

05taco2.7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JIMSTER
    omaha nebraska
    Soon to come
    I would dig a little deeper into what was repaired exactly maybe contact the repair shop to investigate if it all adds up to minor body repairs cool but if structural damage was claimed to the carfax that usually means frame damage at one point

4. Aug 21, 2014 at 5:50 PM
    Chicane

Chicane Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    So Cal(Huntington Beach)
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Sport
    Front end damage no. Rear end maybe, but it all depends on the price. If you can talk him down another 1500 or so, then it may be worth it. Someone rear ended my 2011 Tundra and went under the passenger side bumper. New bumper, exhaust pipe end was replaced/rewelded and the quarter panel was pulled out then repainted. You couldn't tell it was hit and there was no structural damage. Good luck.

5. Aug 21, 2014 at 6:24 PM
    98 Taco Max

98 Taco Max Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    v6 Tacoma 4x4
    when i was looking at buying my pickup the owner told me it had been hit in the rear by a drunk driver, (the tacoma was parked on the street and was hit when the drunk driver derped around a corner). told me all of the damages were covered under insurance and the frame was re-straightened afterwards.

this did show up on the carfax report as well. I had it inspected at two separate places, one a specialty import 4x4 shop and the other a toyota dealership. they found no defects or reasons for concern, the truck had a clean title (not salvaged or rebuilt), and drives totally straight and vibration free at highway speeds.

I bought it even though it had been damaged previously. I've had it for a full year now and so far zero regrets. you would have to be thorough in inspecting it though because there's no guarantee and all the responsibility does fall on you the buyer

6. Aug 21, 2014 at 8:21 PM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    Carfax ime makes really bad toilet paper. In all the vehicles ive bought, the more they hyped the carfax, the more obvious damage they were hiding. I remember testing an xterra a few years ago and the salesman whipped out "clean carfax" probably 50 times.

So during the testdrive its all over the road. Tight turns in a parking lot and it spins like youre on the teacups. Pull into a lighted bay at the dealership and easily find various colors of yellow on the sheet metal. I crawl underneath and there are so many marks on the hideously twisted frame from the shop that tried straightening it you could barely see metal.

I pointed all that out to the sales guy, and "clean carfax" comes flying out 10 more times as i head to my car.

So in the real world evaluate the vehicle for what it is and imo ignore the waste of paper and ink.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  7. Aug 21, 2014 at 8:30 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    So the information was withheld until you found the carfax report? For that alone I was walk because the seller isn't upfront. Wonder what else isn't being told.

8. Aug 21, 2014 at 8:39 PM
    doorsidedown

doorsidedown Well-Known Member

Member:
    +1. If he didn't volunteer any of this information, it would make me uncomfortable. That being said, contact the shop that did the work, and if it is actually as minor as he says, and it's the truck you want - negotiate some more off the price and buy it.

9. Aug 22, 2014 at 6:08 AM
    C.I.TR3

C.I.TR3 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    WA State
    OK. Thanks for all the responses. I did not ask about accidents when I talked to him because he kept talking about how clean the truck was. And it is. He has been very up front with everything but he did not tell me about the accidents either. He sent me all the repair records for the two accidents and it totals up to about 10 pages. There was A LOT of stuff fixed or replaced. The first repair total was around $10k and the second was around $7k. Seems to indicate pretty extensive damage to me. I may regret it but I think I am going to keep shopping. My truck must be out there somewhere. Thanks again for the help!

10. Aug 22, 2014 at 6:16 AM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    yeah keep shopping

11. Aug 22, 2014 at 6:28 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    While I won't argue with it being a good idea to walk away, I will say that thinking $7k or even $10k in repairs shows extensive replacement, I wouldn't rely on that alone. Hell, a damaged front bumper or rear bumper on some cars today could EASILY reach the $5-6k mark alone. If you run into a situation like this again I think the best advice has been given: Investigate with the repair shop that did the work and ask THEIR opinion. Since they most likely have no vested interest in you buying the truck, they will tend to be more forthcoming.

12. Aug 22, 2014 at 7:22 AM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    Too many other fish in the sea. I wouldn't.

13. Aug 22, 2014 at 7:53 AM
    Bellis

Bellis friggin rad

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    mass southshore
    Vehicle:
    pyrite 6-speed 2012 offroad
    driver mod
    I've seen too many auto body repairs go bad and rot out while the rest of the car still looked good, no I would not buy

14. Aug 22, 2014 at 8:02 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    Mostly the same answer as the consensus above, but I agree that something shown on Carfax in itself is not necessarily bad. A small scrape in the bumper that is repaired will show up, and is not a big deal. Unfortunately there is not much distinction between those small repairs and major repairs until you do some investigation.

I looked at a Tundra recently. I could see repair work on the passenger door and the left front fender, so probably 2 separate incidents, and not well repaired. I pulled the carfax and it showed 2 accidents, but looking into it, these were different accidents than where the repair work was done. I looked closer at those areas listed and they were flawless repairs. Apparently these other two accidents were smaller or the owner did not want to deal with insurance and had it repaired at a backyard friend-of-a-friend type place, and it was not even reported to Carfax. So, long story to say that not all accidents show up on carfax, and those that show up will have to be assessed to see what the damage was.

By the way, the carfax also showed that the Tundra was stolen and recovered 6 months later, so no telling how it was handled. That was a sure sign to move on... :)

15. Aug 22, 2014 at 8:17 AM
    BuddyS

BuddyS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4 MT
    As noted above, Carfax is a double edged sword. It might indicate minor or moderate repairs done well, or a clean carfax might hide bad repairs done by a lousy shop. When buying used there's simply no substitute for a lengthy, thorough test drive, an independent shop inspection, your observations about the vehicle and the person selling it, and of course your gut feeling.

16. Aug 24, 2014 at 2:14 AM
    wkndboost

wkndboost Active Member

Member:
    If it was super cheap...maybe.

17. Aug 24, 2014 at 3:16 AM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
  18. Aug 24, 2014 at 10:43 AM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:

Heh, it was maybe 15 years go someone hit my car on a really subzero night. Rubber bumper cover shattered like glass, no other damage. $3500 to replace it. 10 years ago had someone park theu hyundai under the rear of my f150 at about 40mph. Hyundai was totalled, insurance paid almost 6k to me. New rear bumper and new hitch. So if given the choice, be the guy in the truck. :laugh:

So i short $ amount means squat, again evaluate the vehicle for what it is.

19. Aug 27, 2014 at 8:15 AM
    Voyager

Voyager Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4X4 TRD V6
    OME Suspension kit Magnaflow SS catback, ARE cap, Yakima kayak & bike racks, Deck Lid, Westin Safari Light Bar.
    Carfax is good in theory, but absolutely abused by disreputable dealers. Way too many ways to work around it.

If you’re interested in the truck, go inspect it (or have someone do it for you).

A neighbor backed into my truck 7 years ago. Smashed the right rear quarter panel/bed. It was repaired and looks as good today as it did when I bought the truck 11 years ago (see pic).

DSC_0156a.jpg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  20. Aug 27, 2014 at 8:44 AM
    Holy schmidt

Holy schmidt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wyatt
    Nebraska
    I will say like others have carfax wont show all accidents my truck was hit by a kid at my school (luckily I just needed a new rim and tire) so his family paid for us to go to the shop of our choice to get the truck fully inspected for damage. Now that being said the truck drives perfect but still if i ever went to sell nobody would know it got clipped

Products Discussed in

To Top