1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Exodus to the promised land (california) need advice

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by LAL00O00, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Aug 23, 2014 at 6:16 PM
    LAL00O00

LAL00O00 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jorge
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD Taco
    Hey everybody i just wanted to seek advice from everybody around the us on a road trip that a buddy and i are doing this fall to california. Lets start by telling you a little about myself. My name is jorge and i live in NY. Im 20 and recently bought a 2001 taco i surf, mtn bike, and like to wrench and just do fun stuff haha. As far as mods go ive have installed the satoshi mod, the deck plate mod, grey wire mod, and flood lights mounted on CBI Offroad ditch bracket lights. Im waiting on rocksliders and skitplates from All-Pro Offroad. My buddy has an Fj that he has already rigged previously out in Boulder hes on the FJ forums his user name is "Basil". Were starting our road trip on sept 21 from the east end of long island NY and were gonna drive to rogers Arkansas to do some work for his dad for around 2 weeks. From there were going to boulder colorado to start our offroad trip. We are staying there for about a week and then we are going to moab for about a week or two. We actually went offroading in moab back in jan in my buddies fj ill include a pic of is at top of the world. After that were going to zion national park, should i rename the post "Road to zion"??. After zion were going to yosemite national park. After that were going to mision viejo california were we will be moving too. We might also go and do the rubicon trail. Keep in my mind that i will have all my shit in my truck bikes,clothes, boards and random stuff. So what i wanted to ask is how hard will it be for me to offroading all this trails specially the rubicon trail? We are going with some fj guys that my buddy already knows from CO. I have offroad before so im no rookie i guess.
    I need tips and advice on trails that we are visiting. I know i should get a lift but i need money for the trip. I would love to go wheeling with some of you guys if im around your area. The reason that im not doing much to my taco is also that i want to do a before and after when im done with my build since were gonna drive back next summer :D

image.jpg

2. Aug 24, 2014 at 2:55 PM
    Basil

Basil Member

Member:
    Hey all, made a account over here. Ive got a 10k winch so I'm planning on dragging Jorge up and over anything he can't make it up.

3. Aug 24, 2014 at 2:58 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Make sure you have a huge pot of $$$$$$ to stay in Ca.

4. Aug 24, 2014 at 3:14 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    ...and bring lube.

cuz this state is bending everyone over....without a reach around.

lived here my whole life and all I can say is I love California, but I hate California. what I mean by that is i love the weather, laid back mood, and availability of beach, mountain, and desert access but as far as the lawmaking and law enforcement go, this place is like the Soviet Union. there's a law for EVERYTHING. especially motor vehicles.

5. Aug 24, 2014 at 3:32 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

X 1,000,000,000

Couldn't have said it better, I'm a Ca. native being in San Diego all my life & you nailed it, geographically superb, laid back mostly but the Gov. & politics have gotten so far out of whack & intrusive, tax rate is insane & the biggest monster of all is the DMV , like a stomach that never gets full, just wants more , & sadly I don't even recognize this place anymore, looking to get out & actually can't wait to do so...

6. Aug 24, 2014 at 3:35 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    What Doug and Mr. Biscuits said.

As a resident of san diego for 17 years I enjoyed it there, but the politics was so bad that my family moved to Ms just a month and a half ago.

7. Aug 24, 2014 at 3:38 PM
    stmpjmpr

stmpjmpr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    So Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Sport MGM 4X4
    I live in mission Viejo, been here since 1919. love it, you will too, close to beach, lots of NT Biking, and mountains within 2hr drive or less depending where you go. good luck on trip. My complaint of CA is too many damn bozos here, that ruin it for everyone hence all the restrictions.

8. Aug 24, 2014 at 3:44 PM
    Anelson24

Anelson24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    So. Cal
    All the above mentioned are the main drags..definitely bring some $$$..NOTHING is free..lol BUT it is nice to drive an hour to the beach, hour to snowboarding and nice weather 90% of the time! Good luck on the cross country trip!

9. Aug 24, 2014 at 3:52 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x

See, these are the things that make it great , beach is nice but i don't swim/surf in the big pee pond & snow is ok as long as I don't end up shoveling that shit day after day, my relocation will most likely be N.Arizona in the 5000ft + elevation , still close enough to make a trip to Ca. for a good run or whatever...Buit I will miss that aspect of SoCal & some great people for sure...

10. Aug 24, 2014 at 4:00 PM
    07regtacoman

07regtacoman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davis Ca
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver REG Cab
    Painted arm rests, 2011 front grille,Readylift for 5lug.
    That is the benefit of living near Sacramento.Not as populated as Socal and still near rivers,lakes,etc.Less idiots.Plus close to Tahoe n Reno.Expensive but what isnt in Ca.

11. Aug 24, 2014 at 4:03 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Everything said already. Sounds like a fun trip, sure beats "moving." ;)

12. Aug 24, 2014 at 4:06 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Most def. a fun trip cross country adventures are always better when driving instead of public transportation planes/trains /bus , I'll take the "truck routes"...

Products Discussed in

To Top