1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine issues!!!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by klem223, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Aug 25, 2014 at 11:27 AM
    klem223

klem223 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    95, 2.7 liter, 4x4
    So yesterday we put a newer 3rz, 2.7 liter into my 1995 Tacoma 4x4. The electrical system is doing some really strange stuff. Lights won't turn on, then they will, not all the dash lights come on, then they will, radio works then it doesn't, starter tries to go then it won't. Battery is good, starter is good, everthing looks like it's connected and grounded as it should be. The truck had overheated and blew the old engine. We also couldn't advance the fly wheel so we're now going to drop the transmission to see if there is something not aligning correctly? Engine won't turn over at all.

Anyone else run into proplems like this or have any ideas as to what is going on?

2. Aug 25, 2014 at 11:31 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    Did you swap the computer and wiring harnesses from the donor truck into your truck as well, or are you trying to plug the ones from your truck into the donor motor? Because they may not be compatible.
    That's the only thing I can think of. :notsure:

3. Aug 25, 2014 at 11:43 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I have to say that it really does sound like a grounding issue. I would check the battery to cab ground at the battery, then the ground strap from the engine block to the cab, and go from there.

4. Aug 25, 2014 at 11:50 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    ^^^
    You should listen to this guy. He knows stuff about things.

Only engine I ever swapped was on a late 70's Dodge; the only wiring that you had to hook up went to the starter and the alternator.

5. Aug 25, 2014 at 12:01 PM
    00yotasr5

00yotasr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    lee
    merced, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 4X4 RED DEVIL
    Icon ext travel expo leafs rear billies 5125 10'' travel bamf bpv relocate Brute Force Fab Sliders allpro ss brake lines f/r LR UCA 22in wetokled bar RAT Products ifs skid ARB rear locker Ultra gauge Redline Hood Struts Blue Sea Fuse box smittybilt xrc 9.5 w/TJM synthetic rope trail-gear rock assault low profile bumper LED bed strip 12v/usb charger in truck bed
    agree, does sound like an electric ground problem. also as stated about the ecu, I would also check to make sure the new engine is compatible with your ecu, not all Tacoma parts are interchangeable.

6. Aug 26, 2014 at 8:38 AM
    klem223

klem223 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    95, 2.7 liter, 4x4
    My friends who are helping with this think it's a ground issue, too. How many grounds are there? One to the back of the chaise, the starter, the battery, any others? There is another small back ground running from the side of the chaise to near the negative battery cable. Right now it's loose and I thought it was old but it might have been attached by electrical tape to the negative battery cable. Other than maybe that I don't think we missed any but I will go back and clean and reconnect. I did pull the wiring harness, etc. from the old motor and put it on the new one.

Having to work on this after school and work sucks!

Thanks for the help!

Products Discussed in

To Top