Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Truck Surgery has commenced :)

Old 08-26-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
NOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud of

Name: Brandon
NOLA ItsNotOva's Tacoma Gallery
Truck Surgery has commenced :)

Many of you have probably been seeing some of my posts about my bad ball joints, tires, suspension, etc. Well, now after a few months of hard work and saving, I'm finally starting to bandage my truck's wounds . First off, I ordered a set of Moog ball joints from RockAuto and they just came in the mail today. Hope to get them put on tomorrow. I also have my oxygen sensor coming tomorrow and will be throwing that on that day (got tired of seeing the CEL and the stinky exhaust). But that's just small stuff. The real big thing is the suspension. Going to be ordering the full OME kit from Wheelers in about a week or two. 883 coils, nitrochargers, and Dakar leafs. Going to be doing it myself and will try to take pics. I kind of want this thread to be about my road to having a better truck. Coming from when I first got it, I've gone a long way and hope to continue fixing and upgrading in the future. Here's my ball joints:
Attached Thumbnails
Truck Surgery has commenced :)-2014-08-26-18.10.42.jpg  
Old 08-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
Combatman is on a distinguished road

Combatman's Tacoma Gallery
How did you know you had bad ball joints? Also I would love to see pictures/ a walk through on changing them, I think I might need new ones.

Sounds like the makes for a good thread!
Old 08-26-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
NOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud of

Here are mine. As you can see, there is grease leaking from them because the boots have dry rotted/ split. I get a feeling of the wheel jumping as I drive on the interstate. Loose play in steering can also be a sign I believe.
Attached Thumbnails
Truck Surgery has commenced :)-ball-joint-1.jpg   Truck Surgery has commenced :)-ball-joint-2.jpg   Truck Surgery has commenced :)-ball-joint-3.jpg   Truck Surgery has commenced :)-ball-joint-4.jpg  
Old 08-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
Knowledge rating result of a goat vs MC vid
Aught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Troy
Aught2TaCO's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck dude, hope everything goes well for ya!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
wcp0611 is a jewel in the roughwcp0611 is a jewel in the roughwcp0611 is a jewel in the roughwcp0611 is a jewel in the rough
wcp0611's Tacoma Gallery
Not to pimp it but here's my ebay auction for some Moog complete heavy duty strut assemblies for our Tacomas. They are beefy. I had a customer ride on them for a week while we waited on his remote res Billies and All Pro bumpers to come in.

I'd be willing to work with you on price if you're game.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcp0611 View Post
Not to pimp it but here's my ebay auction for some Moog complete heavy duty strut assemblies for our Tacomas. They are beefy. I had a customer ride on them for a week while we waited on his remote res Billies and All Pro bumpers to come in.

I'd be willing to work with you on price if you're game.
Lol, thanks but no thanks. Heavy duty = Harsh ride to me. And my truck already rides like shit.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aught2TaCO View Post
Good luck dude, hope everything goes well for ya!
Thank you sir!
Old 08-27-2014, 05:55 AM   #8
wcp0611 is a jewel in the roughwcp0611 is a jewel in the roughwcp0611 is a jewel in the roughwcp0611 is a jewel in the rough
wcp0611's Tacoma Gallery
No worries. Good luck with building your truck. Wish I had the cash to upgrade some stuff.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
So this is a build thread correct ?? ( & glad your doing the ball joints first )
Technically yes lol. And yea I think you were the one to suggest me changing them first. I was looking at pics of cars with broken bj's and looking at how mine look, I didnt want that to happen. Sadly, I dont have the time to do the ball joints myself. I have a family mechanic doing them, but everything else will be done myself. Going to try to get as many pics as possible
Old 08-27-2014, 06:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcp0611 View Post
No worries. Good luck with building your truck. Wish I had the cash to upgrade some stuff.
Well with me being 19, I dont really have anything to pay for other than stuff for my truck and gas lol. So really I dont have much. But its all needed as everything is original with 181k miles on them
Old 08-27-2014, 07:11 AM   #12
Banned
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA ItsNotOva View Post
Technically yes lol. And yea I think you were the one to suggest me changing them first. I was looking at pics of cars with broken bj's and looking at how mine look, I didnt want that to happen. Sadly, I dont have the time to do the ball joints myself. I have a family mechanic doing them, but everything else will be done myself. Going to try to get as many pics as possible

Yeah good on you tho' dude, seen too many guys (myself included) ignore & put off shit like that only to pay a high price, another member here nelsonTmatt had the lower balls drop out on him ON THE FREEWAY GOING about 70mph i think he said , A scarier ride i can't imagine