1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Elocker or Detroit

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by DarkShark, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Aug 30, 2014 at 11:33 AM
    DarkShark

DarkShark [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clark
    Medford/Southern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    03 DCab 4wd
    Icons, Camburg and custom stuff......
    So if you had a choice what would you do? In my area the elocker costs double what the Detroit does with install. The selectable elocker is very tempting because of the area I live. With snow and ice would a Detroit suck?uploadfromtaptalk1409423525136.jpg

2. Aug 30, 2014 at 11:39 AM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solution…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    Come down to money. An elocker or other selectable locker would be the best but it costs the most. Whereas a Detroit truetrac is not quite as good but much cheaper and way less frigging around to get one installed.

3. Aug 30, 2014 at 2:01 PM
    DarkShark

Member:
    First Name:
    Clark
    Medford/Southern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    03 DCab 4wd
    Well the elocker is easy because its just and axle swap. The Detroit will cost money to install. Its a DD truck so I'm leaning to the elocker

4. Aug 30, 2014 at 2:24 PM
    wildcats

wildcats Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Sport
    Loads of people run Detroit lockers, but don't seem real popular on Tacoma's. Also to be clear i assume you are talking about the Detroit locker and not truetrac? Detroit lockers are very tough and reliable, just have a few driving quirks. I wouldn't be afraid to run one, but they can make driving in slick weather a little more interesting.

5. Aug 30, 2014 at 2:47 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

EatMyTacomaDust Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 "Black Beauty" Baja DC 4x4
    ICON 3" LIFT, Console Vault, Tailgate Security Clamp MOD, SuperBumper Crash Attenuator, TRD Front Skid Plate, Wet Okoles - 1/2 Piped, Undercover SE Tonneau
    From my experience Detroit Lockers are clunky as hell. Really changes your driving experience. I would never install a full time locker in a diff again - they work but they're a bitch on the road.

I would also go ARB Air Locker.

6. Aug 30, 2014 at 2:53 PM
    tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ
    I really wouldn't go Detroit Locker unless it was a trail rig or you drove in a mild, dry climate. It can be done and people have done it but the truck will handle differently and it is best to spend time getting used to it.

My preference for a DD would be ARB air locker over Toyota E-locker over TrueTrac over Detroit Locker.

7. Aug 30, 2014 at 3:47 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    I have the TruTrac, and love it. Can't tell its back there on the highway, and I can just hear the tires gripping the pavement when turning slowly.

8. Aug 30, 2014 at 3:48 PM
    Devout

Devout Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD 4X4
    None yet
    Got selectables on both my Toyo rears and an auto on my Jeep. I really prefer a selectable for the rear for a HOST of reasons. Autos suck in the rain and I'm not so sure you get that much advantage in the snow with the rear locked anyway. Fishtailing is really severe in the snow with the rear locked.

9. Aug 30, 2014 at 6:08 PM
    DarkShark

Member:
    First Name:
    Clark
    Medford/Southern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    03 DCab 4wd
    Yes a Detroit not truetrac
    Not really an option because of the cost involved. 1k plus a compressor and install would be 1500+ if my math is right.
    Yeah I would be worried I'd hate it in the snow/ice especially.
    Yeah I live in the Northwest so I'm thinking selectable might be better.

I can also install an elocker axle myself with little effort. The Detroit is a different story but is definitely still cheaper. I can get a used one with 150 miles on it for cheap is why its an option.

10. Aug 30, 2014 at 7:06 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

EatMyTacomaDust Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 "Black Beauty" Baja DC 4x4
    ICON 3" LIFT, Console Vault, Tailgate Security Clamp MOD, SuperBumper Crash Attenuator, TRD Front Skid Plate, Wet Okoles - 1/2 Piped, Undercover SE Tonneau
    I had a Powertrax Lock-Right full time rear locker in an '87 FJ60 - 4 Inch OME Lift with 33" BFG MT's. It had some quirks, like wheel hop around corners but it was one hell of a good locker. It was a much smoother locker than the Detroit my buddy had in his 22RE.

http://www.powertrax.com/index.php/products/lock-right

I had it out in the 40 year snow storm they had up here in Washington State about 4 years ago and my FJ60 was the ONLY truck on the road managing to steadily move forward up a giant snowed out hill one morning. All kinds of other 4x4's where stuck and spinning out and sliding back down the hill out of control but I got up it no problems. That locker worked great.

11. Aug 30, 2014 at 9:37 PM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solution…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    Plus wiring/relays/switches/etc, then regearing if your front diff doesn't match the new rear. Adding an elocker isn't as simple as you'd think, and they are also fairly expensive to buy (if you can find one). You won't really know what shape it's in, if a previous owner changed the fluid and maintained it properly.

Products Discussed in

To Top