1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

95.5 tacoma, issues with brand new starter and battery

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by kabrahn, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Sep 3, 2014 at 6:52 PM
    kabrahn

kabrahn [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Atascadero CA
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Tacoma 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    Hey guys, first time.posting so sorry for the bad title but I bought and installed a brand new battery and starter for my 95.5 3.4 manual taco. And all I get when I turn it over are rapid clicks, as if the battery is dead. I checked the batter it's good, and the starters in correctly, but I have no idea what it might be. Maybe I just bought a faulty starter? Any help would be awesome guys.

Thanks

2. Sep 3, 2014 at 9:20 PM
    paranoid56

paranoid56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    make sure everything is hooked up properly.

3. Sep 3, 2014 at 9:25 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    What was the truck doing before you started changing parts?

Assuming the battery is good, sounds like a bad battery cable or connection, or a bad ground.

How did you check the battery?

4. Sep 3, 2014 at 9:59 PM
    kabrahn

kabrahn [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Atascadero CA
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Tacoma 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    It was just clicking. Like one click like the starter was out. I had just replaced the battery wires before any of this along with the grounds i had problems with grounds and corosion before All of this. I checked the battery with my.charger, and arched it then let it charge for a bit then tried again. But I'm starting to think It is a wiring issue. Any ideas on how to check specific wires? Im.thinking either that or a faulty starter any way to test a starter?

5. Sep 4, 2014 at 1:29 AM
    lunch box

lunch box diesel mechanic

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 trd tacoma
    diff lock grey wire mod k&n77series cold air intake 2nd gen s/c water meth injection 7th injector urd 5100s lift all the way around add a leaf new excedy clutch and rear main seal scan guage 2 wet okole covers.bazooka tube.& some minor body stuff.TRD supercharger,URD 7th injector kit
    look up voltage drop test,you should do it from your positive to your starter then from your starter to ground my guess is you have excessive voltage drop,in the circuit if not its usually the starter, also do tests to make sure your new battery is not faulty.

6. Oct 7, 2014 at 5:07 AM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    Also check the starter solenoid contacts. You can try taking a hammer a tapping the starter to test to see if this will temporarily fix the problem. Terminal/lug corrosion or a discharged battery will also cause the symptoms you described. This is a very common problem starter problem and an easy and inexpensive fix for a DYI if the starter can be easily removed.

Products Discussed in

To Top