1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weird coincidence, not sure if its a problem or not

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Tjsingle26, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Sep 6, 2014 at 5:30 PM
    Tjsingle26

Tjsingle26 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma xtra cab 4x4
    Hey Guys,

So I am a college student and typically don't drive that much during the week, typically I park in a lot that has a pretty significant slope to it. I hadn't driven the truck since Monday night and when I went to disengage the parking brake the truck did not move until I gave it some gas. It made kind of a strange noise, like a clunk. But as I was driving everything was good, and normal but I did notice a clicking noise, like something was in either the tire or something. I checked the tires for like a stuck piece of gravel or something and nothing. It seems that something maybe stuck somewhere it shouldn't, but I did notice that there was some tar on the front tire, so maybe that was it.

I figured that maybe it was still the brakes, but like the truck drove and handled normally, so I guess my question is should I be concerned at all? I did try and see if the truck would do the same thing with the parking brake but it did not, and it seems as if it was a one time thing.

Thanks Tom

2. Sep 6, 2014 at 5:47 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    I'm going to assume it was your drum brakes. Sometimes, specialy after being wet and you engage the parking brake, the shoes kind of rust in place.

I've had this happen many a time. Usually if I just washed the truck and didn't think and leave the parking brake on. I have the habit of always engaging it. Even in my level garage.

3. Sep 6, 2014 at 5:57 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    How often have you had the drum brakes serviced in the past 11 years? There are a lot of sliding- and rotating parts in the drum assy that depend on a dab of anti-seize every couple of years to work correctly.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  4. Sep 6, 2014 at 6:10 PM
    Tjsingle26

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma xtra cab 4x4
    To be honest I have no idea because my dad drove the truck before me and bought it used. So I will defiantly look into that soon

5. Sep 6, 2014 at 6:21 PM
    Tjsingle26

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma xtra cab 4x4
    Thats exactly what my friend said (mechanical engineer, probably should have listened to him)

Products Discussed in

To Top