1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best 1st Gen. and why?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Sutcavage, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Sep 7, 2014 at 10:07 PM
    Sutcavage

Sutcavage [OP] New Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2002 Silver Tacoma TRD
    My question is which first generation Tacoma is the best, and why? I am new to the forum but not knew to owning a Toyota. Currently I own a 91 Pickup, 3" suspension lift on 33's. 5-speed with the 3.0. At the time i bought the truck the 3.0 seemed like a good deal. But I recently just put 200k on it and the list of problems with the truck seem to just keep growing. So I believe it's time to upgrade. I would love to stick with a V6 and a manual truck. I have heard good things about the 3.4's. I would just like to know what year Tacoma to keep my eye out for.

Thanks

2. Sep 7, 2014 at 10:10 PM
    Cohbsteq

Cohbsteq Hood Rat

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    SL,UT
    Vehicle:
    02 Supercharged 4x4
    Pretty much stock with some crap welded to it.
    95.5-04 work great :)

3. Sep 7, 2014 at 10:14 PM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    Agreed ;)

4. Sep 8, 2014 at 3:47 PM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    ^^ x2. Key things I like is the slightly more updated interior, the TRD trim and the important things- 4x4 and Elocker.

I have the 3.4 with TRD S/C, ext cab. If I had to do it again, I would probably sway towards double cabs and/or (and for double cabs this applies to only one year in which they made 2.7s) 2.7 I4s. I drove a buddies uber rare double cab 2.7 and a used car lot's, they are completely ball-less, but having been in the aftermarket game for a while and having installed turbo kits and EMS before, I'm sure the 2.7 could be cleanly (OEM like, low NVH, non-ricy) and reliably turbo charged and make around or more power than the 3.4 w/ S/C, but get that nice 2.7 MPG.

5. Sep 8, 2014 at 3:53 PM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    i think that either the 2.7L or the 3.4L will suit your needs. But some of us just like a little extra power in which case i would go for the 3.4L. I am content with my 2.7L though. If i could choose again i would go for a double cab instead of an ext cab. (although they are quite a bit more $) Also i would go w/ manual transmission. (pretty sure they didn't make double cab 4x4 manual transmissions though)
    I personally prefer the grill/front end of the 95.5 - 97 tacoma vs the 98 -00 or 01-04

6. Sep 8, 2014 at 4:11 PM
    2scars

2scars Swollen Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    RVA
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD 4x4 Doublecab
    All-pro, T-G, Budbuilt, Warn, Tepui, Homefab rear bumper
    I just recently sold a 2.7 ext cab 04 5 spd, it had factory 4.30s and I thought it was great power wise. The only time I actually had trouble was loaded for two weeks trip from VA to Moab fighting the crosswind in Kansas. I was in 4th for most of the way. My V6 Dcab has more power, but gets similar mpgs, and the AC doesn't kill it. They are all great trucks and I would still have my ex cab if we didn't just have a little one.

7. Sep 8, 2014 at 4:35 PM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    You have a great truck-the new ones are not as TOUGH as the pick-ups(look left-avatar-my 91).Still miss that one. Currently have a 03 extra cab-6cyl-5spd-4X4-like it alot. If I was to going to buy the same year again-think the double cab would be a little better-MORE ROOM.
    The extra cab is good-but NO third door. If you need the room-the double cab might be better! If you just need to put stuff in the back occasionally-extra cab.
    Another thought-regular cab with locking bed cover is another option.
    1st gens are GREAT-just want you be aware of the difference from the older pickups.
    Definately go with the v6-LOADS of power--one of the benefits from the newer trucks.
    The pickups are still in HIGH demand- Do not sell it too cheap.
    Put my old one on Craigslist-sold it the first day.
    Good luck to you--be picky-get what YOU WANT-Wait if needed.
    Once you own a TOYOTA-you never will be satisfied w/anything else.
    This is my THIRD ONE.

8. Sep 15, 2014 at 12:22 PM
    Sutcavage

Sutcavage [OP] New Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2002 Silver Tacoma TRD
    Thank you all very much for the information. I would rather have an extended cab for the longer bed, as apposed to a double cab. Hearing all the positive things about these trucks just makes me want one every time I see one going down the road. Thanks again.

9. Sep 15, 2014 at 3:40 PM
    quetzal

quetzal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    '02 XtraCab SR5 TRD 4x4 5spd
    All-Pro UCAs, King 2.5 C/Os, All-Pro Expo Leafs, Bilstein 10" Shocks
    '02 Extra cab, v6, TRD, 4x4, manual tranny (of course) and a factory rear locker....that's all you need. :D Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top