1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trans Slipping?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by teehext, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Sep 8, 2014 at 3:48 PM
    teehext

teehext [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 PreRunner SR5
    I put 850 miles on the truck last Wednesday and the transmission is starting to complain. 192k miles, had the fluid changed at 186k, mechanic said it looked brown but no metal. It used to slip a bit in 1st, but now it stumbles all the way through 3rd and only drives well at 60-65 with O/D off and revs just under 3k. It feels like the transmission because the RPMs stay pretty constant...I'm leaning toward getting a donor from a wrecked taco but before I drop the cash are there any life-saving transmission secrets I can try to prolong the death?

2. Sep 8, 2014 at 4:00 PM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    If the tranny is going to the great tranny heaven in the sky, might as well have some fun with it before going- let us know how a snake oil tranny fluid does. One of the highest reviewed magical tranny fluid additives I've read on is the Lucas Tranny Fix- give it a shot before swapping it out- easy to get at any local Autozone etc.

If you have plans on boosting, be it TRD S/C, CXRacing turbo kit etc (assuming your a 3.4), might as well build the new tranny up some, at least a VB upgrade if not clutch packs as well- maybe we have sprag gear upgrades as well?

3. Sep 8, 2014 at 4:01 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Try a bottle of lucas trans slip fix. I ran a bottle on an old car when the trans started slipping and it stopped it for about 10k miles or so.

4. Sep 8, 2014 at 4:31 PM
    2scars

2scars Swollen Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    RVA
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD 4x4 Doublecab
    All-pro, T-G, Budbuilt, Warn, Tepui, Homefab rear bumper
    Which year? If you are near me in VA I have a spare A340F that I can't use because my truck has the electronic kickdown.

5. Sep 8, 2014 at 8:12 PM
    NOLA ItsNotOva

NOLA ItsNotOva Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TX TRD
    I have slipping in 1st but after that its fine. Fluid is brown, however no metal and no burnt fluid. Trans is a quart low (told by Toyota mechanic). I run it hard sometimes. Towing heavy loads once in the blue moon. Will have to try some of that Lucas Trans Fix. Maybe it can save it. Was considering changing the fluid in the pan with a new filter and gasket but I was having second thoughts on it.

6. Sep 8, 2014 at 11:12 PM
    teehext

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 PreRunner SR5
    No plans for boosting so if I do rebuild I would just build a super solid trans within budget. But I was checking out the trans additives, I'll give it a go. Do you have to drain any fluid before adding it?

2001, but I'm in OR. Any clue on shipping costs for a transmission?

Your story sounds like me a year ago...watch out man.
    Haha jk hopefully not :cool:

7. Sep 8, 2014 at 11:17 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
  8. Sep 10, 2014 at 6:30 PM
    teehext

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 PreRunner SR5
    Thanks for that info, lots of useful for when I do rebuild down the road.

So I put half a bottle of that Lucas Oil stuff in this morning and it totally made it driveable. I may put the other half in later but I just drove it a good 15 miles up to 60 mph and it only stumbled twice the whole drive. Needless to say I'm stoked, gives me some time to save up for a rebuild.

Thanks dudes

Products Discussed in

To Top