1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weird noise from the rear end??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 4banger4x4, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Sep 8, 2014 at 7:00 PM
    4banger4x4

4banger4x4 [OP] Probably should'nt have done that.

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Whorelando, Fl
    So when i pull into my driveway and my rear tires hit the curb i get this really loud clunking sound like something is loose and banging around, but it only makes the sound if i hit it above 4mph and if one tire hits it at a time. anything slower than that and there is no noise, and if both wheels hit the curb at the same time no noise. This has been going on for months now and ive only heard it once while on the road and that was when i was pulling out of a steep off camber driveway and merging into traffic.

I know its coming from the rear half of my truck but i cant find anything loose and im at a loss

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  2. Sep 9, 2014 at 7:21 PM
    4banger4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Whorelando, Fl
    no one?

3. Sep 10, 2014 at 6:15 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    Push each side of your truck down. That'll tell you if it is suspension related or something loose. Check your spare tire lift?

4. Sep 11, 2014 at 1:42 PM
    4banger4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Whorelando, Fl
    i shook the shit out of the rear of the truck and didnt get anything. i should try flexing it out and see what happens. and already checked the spare. thats what i was hoping it was at first

5. Sep 11, 2014 at 1:48 PM
    shore990

shore990 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road
    Do you have anything in the storage bins in the back or behind the rear seats? I had a shovel I put behind my rear seats that I forgot about that would slide around if I rocked the truck just right. Took me about week to figure out what it was.

6. Sep 11, 2014 at 2:16 PM
    4banger4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Whorelando, Fl
    already cleaned those out about 6 months ago, i had a 2x2 square of metal back there one of my friends put in that was making a horrible noise. but thats not the case this time.

7. Sep 13, 2014 at 10:36 PM
    97TacoNM

97TacoNM Riding a 97 Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    NM
    Vehicle:
    97 Taco LX 4x4 Ext Cab
    Rampage halogens Custom bed rack
    I would ask someone to repeat the experience while you squat down by the rear (uh, out of the way of course!) and get a good listen. I'm trying to understand why you don't get the sound if both go over at the same time.

Might also lift the rear so that the tires hang free and see what you see.

Reading the title of your thread I was going to blame a bean burrito as the culprit.

8. Sep 13, 2014 at 10:40 PM
    4banger4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Whorelando, Fl
    I've put it in 1st and got out and let it drive itself up the curb and it was loud enough that I couldn't tell where it came from and I was also in a rush to climb back into my truck.

yesmar likes this.
  9. Sep 14, 2014 at 3:10 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Crawl under the truck and start wiggling stuff. Suspension components, exhaust, spare tire, shocks, Ubolts, ujoints, driveshaft, mud flaps, bumper, bed mounts, framing, brakes, transfer case, everything under there.

10. Sep 14, 2014 at 4:35 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

Had the same issue with my 2nd gen a while ago. The noise turned out to be the leaf packs. They would make this horrible metal pop noise. I thought the worst. I did a few things to try and remedy the problem. First I thought it was the spare, so I dropped it and put it up a little tighter. Then I made sure all rear end nuts n bolts were torqued, which I found one that was just a 1/4 turn loose. Then I loosened all of the bed bolts and re torqued them. One of the bed bolts was loose, still tight though, but not the problem. So the final thing I did was de grease and power wash the leaf packs. Had a lot of built up dirt in em. And after I doused them in WD, the noise went away. They were fairly rusted. But after that no noise. So I guess it was the leaf packs flexing, metal on metal, with no lube that was causing the horrendous metal popping. Eventually I will take them completely apart and do a sand and a nice coating of enamel, but no time for that now. So til then, I'll just keep with the pressure washer and WD.

11. Sep 14, 2014 at 3:19 PM
    4banger4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Whorelando, Fl
    i graduated from shaking to kicking the shit out of things to see if theyre loose.

my leafs are a little rusty, but they are only about a year old Allpro leafs. but it doesnt hurt to spray them down and see if it goes away

12. Sep 15, 2014 at 1:27 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Haha, yeah, mine are AP standard packs. They pop like crazy with no lube.

13. Sep 15, 2014 at 5:36 AM
    4banger4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Whorelando, Fl
    That's didn't do the trick for me. Used half a can of wd40 on the last night and still made the noise. But I heard something a little different this time. I heard the intital bang when I went down the curb but then I heard a second bang, but it was softer this time like what ever made the noise the first time was shaking around enough for it to make the noise again.

Could this be the center bearing on my d shaft? There is play in it but even if I shake it back and forth as hard as I can it doesn't make the noise.

14. Sep 15, 2014 at 6:19 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    I don't know, but I do know that it could be your u joints. I think yours have the inboard c clips, and those are a bear. I don't think the center bearing will make that kind of noise unless the bushing was toast. Try greasing the u joints and check that grease flows from all four cups on each of them. Sometimes if there is a blockage, one of the cups doesn't get greased, and it just gets destoued.

15. Sep 15, 2014 at 7:32 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    BTW, WD40 is a SOLVENT, not a LUBE. Common mis-conception.

Have you checked for a loose spare tire?
    Broken leaf spring?
    Loose u-bolts?

16. Sep 15, 2014 at 2:22 PM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    My truck has done this since I bought it 3 years ago. I figured it'd go away with new suspension, but with new dakars and shocks it still happens. It's a crazy freakin noise that sounds awful. I think it's carrier bearing related to be honest, or possibly a body mount somewhere. I have a ton of play in my CB when I push it up and down but according to Toyota they said the CB and all u-joints are fine...so I'm not sure if I want to be replacing it just to replace it.

One thing Boxrocket suggested was making sure your driver side leaf pack isn't hitting the gas tank skid. The leaf pack clamp on his truck was hitting it while flexing hard and dented the skid pretty good. This wasn't the case with me but it's worth looking into.

17. Sep 19, 2014 at 8:50 PM
    BCollett

BCollett Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Hesperia Ca
    Vehicle:
    01 Limited Dbl Cab 4x4
    Pro Comp Lift.
    sway bar still installed? Bushings intact?

18. Sep 19, 2014 at 9:26 PM
    Holy schmidt

Holy schmidt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wyatt
    Nebraska
    My sway bar makes a noise the exact place and how you are getting yours. I took mine off and it was gone and the second it was in again it make the pop clink thing

19. Sep 20, 2014 at 6:24 PM
    4banger4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Whorelando, Fl
    I'll grease all the joints. It's a few months past due anyway. But I don't have any noise while driving that would indicate a u joint, but anything is worth a shot.

shit, 3 years? I'm good then. Haha I'll check the skid to make sure it's not hitting but I doubt that's the case seeing as how I'm not flexed out when it happens.

No sway Jose.

Products Discussed in

To Top