1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

99 SR5 V6 Towing Capacity

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by chutez17, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Sep 15, 2014 at 4:19 PM
    chutez17

chutez17 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 V6
    I've got a 99 v6 3.4l. Currently, I live in an rv in the summer time, but it's a pain in the ass to shuttle the thing around from one side of the state to the other. I was planning on getting a trailer to simplify the process. It looks like my towing capacity is 3500lbs. How close to that number can I get in the real world? I am looking at some older 70's model trailers. What length trailer would be approaching my max? Not planning on loading it up with water or anything, just LP.
    Thanks in advance

2. Sep 16, 2014 at 8:56 AM
    drr

drr Primary Prognosticator

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Seattle-ish
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD Tacoma
    While 3500 lbs may be the rated towing capacity of the hitch on your truck, in reality you may not want to subject your truck to that much towing load. I keep my towing to my jon boat (1800 lbs) and a light utility trailer (6'x5'). What are you planning on towing? It's not about the length of the trailer, but how much weight you're putting on it. I would say in general, a single axle trailer with maybe 2500 lbs on it is your max.

3. Sep 18, 2014 at 9:57 AM
    bawilson21

bawilson21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    WA
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 V6 4x4 5-speed
    Rear Diff Breather Extension Deck Plate Mod 31" Destination A/T 3" Body Lift Rancho 5000 Shocks Grey Wire 7Pin Tow harness
    Definitely Check this towing bible out for the Tacomas

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/4031-tacoma-towing-bible.html

If you have a 1st Gen V6, your MAX tow capacity CAN be 5,000lbs if your use a class III hitch. If you tow off the bumper or with a class II hitch, then you will be limited at 3500lbs. I feel confident with my truck, I can tow up to 5,000lbs, but I wouldnt really want to with any regularity because it will be slow and MPG will suck. Towing will reduce MPGs regardless to be prepared to get about 2/3s of what your MPG is rated at. When Towing, dont lug your engine, and do shift smoothly. Also, be more mindful of fluid changes and do them ontime (Oil, transmission, t-case, differentials, and radiator).
    But if you're rated at 3,500 I would feel safe towing up to 3,500. Look into trailer brakes though.

4. Sep 28, 2014 at 12:09 PM
    easttn99

easttn99 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Cookeville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma Maroon 4wd SR5
    Rhino lined bed, tool box, side steps, window tint, Flowmaster exhaust, cb radio, trailer hitch.
    I mentioned in another thread that I have felt that my truck is a little underpowered, but I don't have any other Toyotas to compare it too... What I can say is that I have put a small atv in the bed of my truck and a full size atv on a 5x8 utility trailer behind the truck; while it did pull it, when I hit a steep hill on the highway or was trying to pull out on even a small hill, my truck really strained with that weight. I don't know the exact weights of these items, so I can't give you specifics... but in my experience, these trucks aren't made to tow very much. I truly love my Tacoma, but it is no tow rig.

BTW, my truck is a '99 Ext Cab Tacoma 4x4 with 3.4L V6.

Products Discussed in

To Top