1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Where did this grease come from?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ZKTM, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Sep 16, 2014 at 9:20 AM
    ZKTM

ZKTM [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    zac
    arkansas
    Sorry no pic, and not really necessary.....here's the story.

Got home last night and walked to passenger side of truck and see grease slung from the front wheel all the way down my truck. I immediately thought I had lost a wheel bearing cap. Nope, it's there an intact.

So I thought, well maybe I ran over a tube of grease on the highway...but there is no grease on my tire, there is some on my wheel cover but NONE on the tire itself, the grease is only slung about an 1" from the outside of the truck within the wheel well. I took the wheel off...there is no grease anywhere to be seen. The biggest clumps were right under the passenger door area.

What is the sam heck happened??? :eek::eek:

Thoughts?

2. Sep 16, 2014 at 9:28 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    4wd? Maybe busted an axle

3. Sep 16, 2014 at 9:35 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Judging by your earlier posts you have a 2wd but we dont know what year or size engine for us to help you with a definitive answer . I usually put the year of the truck , size of the motor and what transmission you have in your user profile on the left .
    If I had to guess , it sounds like you ran something over . A couple of pictures would help .

4. Sep 16, 2014 at 9:36 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    ^Yeah, profile pic shows 5-lugger.

Busted ball joint boot? (though there isn't a large amount of grease in there)

5. Sep 16, 2014 at 9:42 AM
    vern650

vern650 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brandon
    hyrum, ut
    Vehicle:
    '97 4x4 taco xtra cab 3rz/5spd
    HBS leveling kit, 31x10.50 mudders, header/imco exhaust, rear billies, LR ucas, home brewed onboard air, cb radio
    like mentioned either from a leaking/overgreased stearing component or something you hit on the road.

6. Sep 16, 2014 at 9:45 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    I don't think it came from your truck. Clean it up, keep a eye on it.

7. Sep 16, 2014 at 12:08 PM
    ZKTM

ZKTM [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    zac
    arkansas
    Sorry....I was thinking info was in my sig.

2wd so no CV joint.

I cleaned up the grease off my truck right away as I didn't want it baked on there.

If this helps, there is ZERO grease behind the wheel cover or even on the rim, it was only on the outside of the wheel cover.

Products Discussed in

To Top