Notices

PackRack w/ Canopy?

Old 09-18-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
chriswh86 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
chriswh86's Tacoma Gallery
PackRack w/ Canopy?

Hi All,

I have a 98 Toyota Tacoma with a free basic thin walled aluminum canopy. I doubt the canopy can hold a roof top tent. I was thinking about getting the allpro packrack thing which solves my concern with weight on the cheap free canopy I have.

However, I like that I can store things in the canopy! I am wondering, has anyone build a skeleton around their canopy for a roof top tent or something with weight. Is it worth it.

If not, are there some GOOD storage solutions out there for carrying all your camping gear out in the open? I am worried about easy access to all my gear from people etc.

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
BCollett is on a distinguished road
Name: Brandon
BCollett's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of storage does your canopy offer? I have an All Pro pack rack with a TJM tent on top and all the sleeping gear gets to stay in the tent full time. For drygoods and cooking gear I built a rack across the bed that i can strap 3 actionpacker containers down too. I got the idea from All Pro. They had a photo of one in their Baja Taco build. I asked if they offered the rack for sale but they didn't it was just something they experimented with so i had to make my own. If you are concerned with secuirty, swagoffroad makes some really cool brackets for actionpackers that you can bolt down in the bed and they secure the actionpacker 100% and lock with a pad lock or a cable lock if you chose.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
chriswh86 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
chriswh86's Tacoma Gallery
Great setup.

My canopy doesnt really offer anything at this time as I havent set it up for camping.

Do you carry a fridge at all? If so, keep it out in the bed or tuck it away inside the cab?
Old 09-21-2014, 06:18 AM   #4
I deal with dead animals
meatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
meatman's Tacoma Gallery
SOS concepts has built what your asking about.. although Eddy built one to go over a besttop not an aluminum shell.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #5
BCollett is on a distinguished road
Name: Brandon
BCollett's Tacoma Gallery
I dont have a fridge yet, but soon i will, and when i do it will replace the super large cooler i keep in the back seat of the truck. i removed the actual seat to give myself more room. I've been meaning to make a new sub floor so i have a nice flat surface to work with all the way across the back of the cab. I'll definitely do that when the fridge gets installed. I've already run power to the back of the cab so now its just a matter of saving the pennies to get the fridge. Plus its tough to decide on a fridge to go with . there are so many brands to consider, Engle, Edgestar, ARB, Norcold, Dometic, etc.. I'll have to read some reviews from people going offroading before i decide. Many of the reviews are usually from RV owners who dont see the rough conditions I'm anticipating to be experiencing, so their reviews to really help much.