1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein 5100's, Total chaos UCA, OME 881's?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Kapncam, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Sep 19, 2014 at 10:36 PM
    Kapncam

Kapncam [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    United States
    Super Charged, TRD exhaust
    2002 Tacoma pre runner 3.4l 6 lug

I know theres is lots of threads on this and if its redundant show me a thread with this build or answers to my questions.

So my shocks were bad about a year ago so I went with DSM and got the bilstein 5100's for the front and 5125's for the rear.

So a few months later I bought the OME 881's for some reason probably shouldn't have because I haven't installed them yet on the 5100's--- I know to set the 5100s to zero.

Today I took the truck to the mechanic for a vibration in the brake pedal they said its the UCA's and LCA bushings. The mechanic quoted me about $1500 to replace them with OEM stuff. I figured well for that price I can get after market ones and have someone help me do them and save the $640 in labor he was charging.

Little more info I do doe light off roading in the AZ desert around the lakes but nothing too crazy since I don't have 4x4.

I want the Total Chaos UCAs.

Heres my issues:

Are the UCAs appropriate for the shocks and springs I'm running?

Is it over kill?

Should I change what Im doing?

Should I just do stock UCAs?

What size tires can I run and work best if I do the UCAs, coils and shocks?

I really want to run the bronze TRD rims also.

I wouldn't mind doing a mid travel kit later on maybe. Which I believe I'd need some sort of aftermarket UCAs to do anyways... correct me if Im wrong.

2. Sep 20, 2014 at 9:57 AM
    teehext

teehext Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 PreRunner SR5
    F**k that quote, especially for stock UCAs.

They will work fine, plenty of people on here running a similar combo including me (Eibach springs instead of 881s)

If you're considering future mid-travel the UCAs would be a good investment, the stock UCA and balljoint are strong at stock height but on lifted applications the balljoint becomes a weak point. Depending on how high your lift is you could be replacing balljoints regularly ($$)

That being said, the uniball UCAs will require more maintenance than the balljoints simply because the joint is exposed. With proper maintenance the uniballs will be stronger and last longer than balljoints at extreme angle.

Correct. Any sort of extended travel coilover will require a uniball joint to handle the travel.

3. Sep 21, 2014 at 7:10 PM
    Kapncam

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    United States
    Thanks for the info much appreciated.

I think Im gonna get the total chaos.

4. Sep 22, 2014 at 6:02 PM
    Mulepadre

Mulepadre Mulepadre

Member:
    Central Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2003 Std Cab 2.7L 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Deaver Leaf Springs, JBA UCAs
    I too have 5100s with OME 881s.
    Destroyed the bushings on the original factory UCAs removing them so replaced them with new OEM UCAs.

Wanted 2.5" of lift so I put 1/2" strut spacers on top of the 5100s with assurance by Wheeler's Off Road that they would work fine.
    But the UCAs would hit the 881s over speed bumps. :( so removed them...
    but still have something bumping over sharp bumps.

Wish I would have gone with after market UCAs like you are considering.

5. Sep 28, 2014 at 11:46 PM
    Kapncam

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    United States
    Gonna go with the TC arms for sure.

6. Sep 29, 2014 at 1:39 AM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    I'll add that the maintenance on the tc or whatever other uca's is pretty easy. Just keep it lubed and the bushings greased. If you go mudding make sure to clean them off right away. You'll need some good lube. I use tri flow dry lube, shit is great! Even normal driving be sure to check them once in a while. Dust and dirt will get in there. They will tend to squeak when you turn too if you don't keep them clean. I don't clean mine as often as I should, but I have 0 issues, besides the squeaking occasionally when I haven't kept up on it. Greased them a few times over the last couple years.. But yeah, they are WELL worth the money, and pretty easy to maintain. Except when you have to remove them to give it a total cleaning, which I have yet to do... I make it sound like they need to be maintained a lot, but it's really not that bad. I got camburg uca's and I love em. Total chaos is great too but I just went camburg just because I liked the look better.. And I haven't even upgraded my shocks or anything yet. I have a spacer lift and have been trying to save up for some coilovers to go along with a complete mid travel setup and get rid of the spacer lift. Uca's were my first big upgrade because my ball joints were shot when I got the truck, but my shocks are still ok but will need replacing soon. I figured if I had other financial obligations then I'd at least be future proofing myselffor upgrades. Plus during that time waiting for the proper lift, I might be paying off the uca's for the cost of other broken shit if I had stayed with oem because of the faster wear and tear. It all plays a part on all suspension parts. Quicker wear on upper and lower bj's, tie rods inner and outer, rack, wheel bearings.... So it really is one of the best (costly) upgrades you can do because it potentially pays itself off if you plan to have the truck for a long time and if it's lifted. One more thing I might add, is yeah you'll most definitely need someone to help you, unless there's a trick to it I don't know, but I had to have my brother help me torque down the uniball. Think it was 175 foot pounds and there's no way (that I could think of) to tighten it without someone holding the opposite wrench. That was all though. Did the rest myself...

7. Sep 29, 2014 at 3:13 AM

1200 Member

Member:
    Knoxville, TN
    I also have the Camburg UCAs. Te hardest part installing them was pressing the old balljoint out of the spindle and pressing the new part in. I rented a press from Advance auto and put an impact wrench on it. Seemed to work for me.

8. Jul 28, 2015 at 11:28 AM
    Kapncam

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    United States
    Well I did the camburg uca's. Love them. I also went with the bilstein 5100's with ome 881's. I'm not goning with a super heavy bumper anymore so I need to replace the 881's. My truck bounces hard over speed bumps. Very crazy ride don't like it at all.

I'm leaning towards a coil over in the $1000 range. Probably the 2.5 icons or fox.

This is my DD and rarely make it out the desert or lake to off road. Therefore I don't this I need a coil over with a res.

9. Jul 28, 2015 at 11:29 AM
    Kapncam

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    United States
    I really just want a smooth ride. Any thoughs on coil overs? From experience of course ive read a lot of threads. Leaning towards icons.

10. Jul 20, 2016 at 8:07 PM
    STEVEO13016

STEVEO13016 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVEO
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Prerunner V6 2WD
    5100 Billy's set at 0" with 881 coils
    I just bought 881's that I plan on putting on with the 5100's set at 0... I have no weight up front.... But I see you wrote up that your truck bounces over speed bumps?! I bought theses hoping to get a smooth ride

04tacoadobo likes this.
  11. Jul 5, 2023 at 3:15 PM
    Sicyota04

Sicyota04 Slowly but surely.

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgan
    California
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    You answered a guy who posted that quote in 2016.
    He’s probably long moved on and figured out his question by now. At least I hope so.
    Definitely good advice though.

Products Discussed in

To Top