1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking of spray painting my truck

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Mishael, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Oct 1, 2014 at 12:03 AM
    Mishael

Mishael [OP] Professional Novice

Member:
    First Name:
    Mishael
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Vehicle:
    2017 Manual Black TRD Sport
    I am definitely not rattle canning my entire truck. That is both a massive amount of work (tonneau cover, truck box, back rack, lighting) and much too expensive for me. The only reason I am doing any painting is because of some fender rust I want to protect before it causes some problems. in one of my earlier posts it shows a photoshopped version of what I am doing. Classic 2-tone with a pretty low rise. I have a lot of experience with spray paint, and I can apply it decently well (but I am in no means an artist)

As i said before, this is just going to get me through the winter. Michigan winters are beyond brutal on chassis and bodies (i would kill for magnesium chloride instead of salt...) so I just want my truck to live to rust in some other decade. I don't care about aesthetics at this point. Seriously I drive around with half a bumper cover, mismatched color rims, a truck box that is backwards (it doesnt open either), a torn off emblem on my tailgate, a rear fender that got cracked and bent in (exhaust fatigue), the opposite fender with a big chunk missing (i would like to know where it went), a front bumper that is not actually attached to my truck, clearance lights that are not held in by anything except friction, a grill with more broken clips than clips holding it in, a windshield with 3 different cracks, mismatched headlights, zero real front blinkers, and honestly i would probably die if my tacoma were to be no longer drivable, even with the condition its in. I love this truck. I wouldn't be considering spray painting it myself if i wasnt confident about the quality of work I was going to do.

2. Oct 1, 2014 at 4:15 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    Mishael, I am with you. Just go ahead and spray it. Most important though will be to make sure the existing rust spots are well cleaned before painting. If you just do the bottom part like you want to do you always have the option to sand it and redo it later on if you want to.
    Also, if you can get on the inside of the fenders, you may want to clean and paint that also. Often times it will rust through from the inside rather than the outside.
    Good luck and post pictures!

Products Discussed in

To Top