1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is my 96 Totaled?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by steved0x, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Oct 1, 2014 at 7:19 AM
    steved0x

steved0x [OP] New Member

Member:
    Yesterday morning my 96 Tacoma was rear-ended while parked in my girlfriend's driveway in FL by a car that was involved in a wreck on the main road and flew into my girlfriend's yard. It hit the back of my truck, pushed it forward about 15-20 feet, where it hit a glancing blow to the house with the right front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It still drives fine, a slight running from the front right tire if I do a hard brake; otherwise fine.

I bought this truck new in 96 and have loved it over the last 197,500 miles, in which time it has given me no trouble at all. Over the last 3 years I have probably only put 5,000-7,500 miles on it though (still regular maintenance/oil changes, this spring I changed out the diff with Mobile Delvac, trans with Redline MT90, flushed the brake fluid, flushed the radiator and replaced with Toyota red, and oil change/filter)

It looks like no frame damage, fuel tank is good, drivetrain appears good, no damage to radiators or condenser in the front.

The adjuster is coming to look at it today, and I really hope that they don't try to total it. From looking at what is for sale, a 96 Tacoma in good mechanical condition is very rare (rare in that nobody seems to be selling them) and all the ones I have found are in the $4500 range. I doubt the insurance will want to give me $4500 and I don't want someone else's old truck, I want my truck that has been gently driven (still on the original clutch and brakes (crazy.. maybe the brakes got changed at some point and I lost the record but I sure don't remember it)! I keep waiting for the clutch to start slipping but it never has) :)

Any tips on how to keep this from being totaled? From the pictures, anything come to mind that I may be overlooking? To me it looks like the rear bumper did its job, absorbed all the impact and energy by folding under. Tailgate still closes and opens and latches if you fiddle with it...

Thank you,

Steve

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  2. Oct 1, 2014 at 7:43 AM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    Damn, it looks like your girlfriend lives by the Daytona speedway. well you know they are going to just total her, the easy way out. I am sure others will tell you there are ways to pry their offer up, with the frame recall our trucks are not common. I think it can be fixed and somewhat easy. to me I would try to keep the truck get as much money as I can, put it back and try to ad to it and give the truck a little overhaul.

3. Oct 1, 2014 at 8:41 AM
    markmb45

markmb45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    99 4x4 Reg Cab 3.4, auto, e-locker
    V6,Auto, e-locker 4runner dash, seats
    If it is totaled, just buy it back from the insurance and start over. Good Luck.

4. Oct 1, 2014 at 9:39 AM
    steved0x

steved0x [OP] New Member

Member:
    I found a bumper today for $75, I am tempted to put it on, push in the back dent and pull out the front right a little and get back to driving :)

5. Oct 1, 2014 at 9:45 AM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    Can you have them hold the bumper until after the adjuster comes? You never know what they will say.

But yeah, I would probably do that if you are sure the frame isn't bent.

6. Oct 1, 2014 at 10:46 AM
    steved0x

steved0x [OP] New Member

Member:
    They are holding the bumper for me :) It is from a 96 Tacoma at the salvage yard that I previously got a washer tank and a door sill plate from :) Same color as mine but the bed is totally gone as well as the right front panels and front bumper.

I am getting more encouraged about not having it totaled.

Steve

7. Oct 1, 2014 at 12:45 PM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    :thumbsup: even if they total it you could buy it back.

How bad is the house damage?

8. Oct 1, 2014 at 12:58 PM
    steved0x

steved0x [OP] New Member

Member:
    The house damage is very minor thankfully for two reasons; on of being that the at fault driver has only $15,000 of property damage insurance which has to cover the replacement of a 2002 Passat that was absolutely destroyed, the damage to my Tacoma, and the house damage. It being FL, I am happy that they had insurance at all.... :)

9. Oct 1, 2014 at 1:05 PM
    Karlow

Karlow Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    So CAL
    Vehicle:
    Box Stock 03 PreRunner
    none
    Like they said, they will total it, and you can by it back for a song.
    In So Cal, it would end up with a salvage title (pink). You will have to get the brakes and light certified to get it back on the road. You can get insurance, but not full coverage. I have owned at least four salvage vehical over the years. If it over ten years old the insurance comps will salvage you car/truck for trivial reasons.

Products Discussed in

To Top