1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

should i completely remove stock airbox altogether?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by keakar, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Oct 2, 2014 at 6:18 PM
    keakar

keakar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    I have a 99 sr5 2wd its the 2.4L 4 banger

should I do a stock air filter replacement and pipe in more cool air or remove stock airbox altogether as some people do?

im thinking it would be best to get rid of the entire stock air box and just install a dry air filter in its place. I don't ever leave the paved road and it looks like it would be tucked in nicely behind the right headlight and protected pretty well from any road water spray and such so I don't think I need to worry about that but I do want to be sure this wont hurt performance (dont see how but never hurts to ask) or more importantly, will it mess with the after the air filter engine sensors since it will free up a lot more airflow?

im also considering a cold air pipe added to the engine side of the stock airbox (different and IMO better version of deck plate mod) and going down under the truck rather then removing the elbow in the fender (not a ram air setup), this would bring in much cooler air supply then just removing the elbow and let it suck hot air from under the hood and it should relieve the airflow restriction just like removing the elbow does. if I do this I want to get a stock replacement reusable air filter for the box so please advise a good choice for that.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  2. Oct 2, 2014 at 6:39 PM
    keakar

keakar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    sorry bout that, its the 2.4L 4 banger

I updated the info up top

I read about the deck plate mod but performance tests after showed that simply removing the elbow to the fender and leaving everything else stock gives you almost the exact same increase in performance (like 1% or 2% less) then the deck plate and all that ducting does for you and its 100% free

Products Discussed in

To Top