1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

replacement ideas for theose little push snap buttons for interior moldings and trim

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by keakar, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Oct 4, 2014 at 2:23 PM
    keakar

keakar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    we all have one or two missing (those round trim buttons with the push pin in the center to lock them in place) and since you have to break them to remove them every time unless you can get your fingers behind it to release the locking pin, its kinda stupid to be made that way and even more stupid for the parts dept not to have a hundred of these things laying around the shop but they say the sizes change depending on the year and model so they have 3 or 4 sizes all of which look the same just by looking at them, (like 1/2 a mm differences in sizes).

on my truck I have one on each door panel in a place that serves no purpose for supporting or securing "anything" and I have two more on the bottom dash floor trim piece with the 12v power plugs (cigarette lighter sockets) on it. if I leave them off I have an ugly hole in my door panel that looks incomplete. I im thinking of taking the door panels off and putting some sort of Toyota trim pin there to make it look finished if I can secure it with a pop rivet or something so I avoid clearance issues with the door frame. that might solve the door but the other trim pieces could use a nice looking solution as well

the hole is too big to just put a large screw in and its too small to put one of those screw anchors in (without drilling a larger hole and modifying the door) so what do you do when the dealer doesn't have them?

I know some smart guys out there have come up with nice looking great ideas to replace those snap fasteners with something that works better so how bout it guys?

who has a better solution then special ordering new snap buttons that you have to break to remove?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top