1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"DIY" key switch ignition lock cylinder repair

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by keakar, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Oct 5, 2014 at 5:52 PM
    keakar

keakar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    my ignition key was binding and had to be jiggled to get it to work so if yours is doing this too then follow these instructions to fix it yourself very easy.

first you need to remove you ignition cylinder lock so watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0CRdsFtWdQ
    there might be slight differences but this is just about the same for all tacomas and 4runners (but on mine the light ring had a screw to hold it on)

it only took me 15 minutes and I saved the $$$ the locksmith was going to charge me to do the same thing.

the video below is very helpful because it shows you what it looks like and how it comes apart but this guy is an idiot because he forced the cover off and broke it, plus he removed the keyways instead of just filing them down and removes the security of the key and makes it easy to steal your truck but if you do it my way (the right way) and file them down instead, then you are fixing the problem while making it just as secure as it originally was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxxwk9l9X9g

I found out anyone can do this themselves very easy without risk of breaking it or needing to force the covers off. the cover came off very easy without any damage and all I needed to do was a little filing down on the old keyways that were sticking up from the years of key wear on them and its as good as new again. I used a factory cut key to be sure when I did it that it was going to be done correctly.

first to remove the outer cover plate all you have to do is with a 1/16" or 3/32" drill bit, drill out the pin that holds it by coming from the side at 90 degrees and drill it off at the bottom of the pin flush where it goes into the lock housing. then you dremel disc the two pins on the sides that are mashed so its smooth and flush so its no longer holding it, then with a screw driver put it between the top notch and the housing and twist to pop the cover right off without any damage to it.

then with the factory cut key still in the lock take a file and file down all the keyway tabs that are sticking up until there are all smooth and flush. then clean everything off good and test it in the lock, if all is well then take it out enough to put the black funny shaped doohickey back in its position then push it all together and test for good operation. if all is well take the key out leaving the cylinder in the housing then to put it together, just push the cover cap back on and push the pin down as far as it will go then take a nail to hammer the center of the the two positioning pins you dremeled earlier in order to flare them out tight and its done and your lock is as solid and secure and working as new again.

when putting the cover back on, if there isn't a small slot where you drilled out the pin to take the cover off, then just drill a very small indention just enough for the pin to rest into to hold it in place but this cover doesn't need to be all that well secured because its mainly just decorative and nothing is pulling on it. also if there isn't much of the pin left then just push it out and cut off a fish hook shank and use it as a pin to lock it in place.

if you need to fix your door locks you fix it the same way by filing off whats sticking out until its smooth and flush (make sure you use a good factory cut key that isn't worn) but taking it apart is a little different so this video will tell you how to take them out and get it apart
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHBx6GpO7SA

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  2. Nov 1, 2014 at 4:46 PM
    Twisted99

Twisted99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gold Canyon, AZ
    Tried this fix, but a no-go for me.
    It was not the wafers that were messed up with mine, but the lever (I assume to ensure brake pedal depressed) I cut it down and am good to go, for now.
    The cylinder is very loose, and so is the driver door lock. Going to have to replace both, but at least I wont be stranded til I get to it.
    Any suggestions for a deal on the whole set of locks?

3. Nov 1, 2014 at 5:55 PM
    keakar

keakar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    there are some people on this site selling lock sets with keys from wrecked trucks.

you cant buy "sets" from the dealer anymore so if you buy new locks you have to pay extra to get a locksmith to crack them open and rekey them all the same. rather stupid sounding but that's just how they do it

try this guy: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/322835-1995-5-2004-parts-sale-trade.html
    I know he had the ignition and door locks but not the gas door

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top