1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st gen tacoma 4x4 problem

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by revok, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Oct 12, 2014 at 10:50 PM
    revok

revok [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey guys i went out off roading today and decided to try out me 4wd since i had installed new axles and noticed when i go into 4wd my front wheels dont spin at all and it starts to smell like burnt clutch ,well i think its the clutch , is my transfer case going bad ? I need help

2. Oct 13, 2014 at 1:04 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Could use a little more info, from your "smells like clutch" I can assume manual trans, but what kind of front hubs ?? Manual or automatic (A.D.D. )??

Did you change out the CV axles yourself ?? & if so, did you make sure to knock them in until seated in the diff housing ??...

Anything else you can add will help

3. Oct 13, 2014 at 1:08 AM
    TacoMitch93

TacoMitch93 Tasty Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Nova Scotia, Canada eh
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5
    The front wheels just lock up? Does everything turn fine when you're in 2WD? Sounds like a pretty harsh binding. The clutch smell might be because you have to let it slip because the front tires wont move?

Can you still move the truck in4WD? From my understanding the Tcase locks meaning 50/50 so if the front wheels are locked it won't go anywhere. (how it is on my truck)

4. Oct 13, 2014 at 1:32 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    He's a 1st gen/Pre '01 so pretty sure he's mechanical w/vacuum assist (engagement by lever for the T-case & vacuum to lock & hold hubs/CV axlw in position, you're 2nd gen so pretty sure you're all electric (throttle by wire,etc & he said he's engaging it but no front wheel spin or engagement...

5. Oct 13, 2014 at 6:11 AM
    revok

revok [OP] New Member

Member:
    Mechanic at my job installed them ... And its manual transmission and automatic hubs, and yess in 2wd everything works fine ... Wen i tried my 4wd just cruising it works in a way but wen i want too take off i noticed my revs go up and my truck wouldent actually go anywhere as fast.. thats wen i checked and noticed my wheels dont spin the way they are suppose too

6. Oct 14, 2014 at 1:55 AM
    TacoMitch93

TacoMitch93 Tasty Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Nova Scotia, Canada eh
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5
    You don't need to remind me that its all electric, least favourite part about the truck :( FJ tcase swap coming up! (just gotta get the case..)

It's hard to diagnose over the internet and without seeing it. What you're describing is probably completely different as to what I'm taking in. Which sucks!

7. Oct 14, 2014 at 5:34 AM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    I'll assume that you jacked the truck up so that all the wheels were off the ground and free to spin. If at that point you put the truck in 4wg and the front tires don't turn and they did previously then the fault is likely in the axle installation. Something is clearly binding in the front end, did it happen right from the first time you tried 4wd after the install or have you driven it awhile, did you check the fluid level in the front diff. Take it back to the mechanic that did the work for sure.

Products Discussed in

To Top