1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Started rust control

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Yfz 450, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Oct 15, 2014 at 12:20 PM
    Yfz 450

Yfz 450 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rockland ny
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4x4
    Ok so I started the rust control I have been mentioning I wanted to do on my truck before winter. I have been taking a wire wheel to any spot I can reach and continuously going around the frame with a hammer determined to find any weak points. The only area that is a little weak where the hammer put a little hole about the size of a quarter is a little infront of the passanger leaf mount. When I stick my finger in the hole there is a bit of flaking metal but the surrounding areas can be hit with a hammer all day and not show any weakness except where it went through. It went through on the inside of the box not the c channel. There are some concerning issues though any hole in the frame that is there purposely that I can fit my finger through I can feel flakes on the inside of the frame. A lot more then the outside of the frame would make you believe. Like I said though I went all around the frame with the hammer and everything still feels very thick and has a nice ping sound when hit. A few questions are as follows 1. How do I get those big flakes out? I can not fit them through any of the holes. I have read numerous posts about flushing the inside out but there dosnt seem to be an opening big enough anywhere to let this stuff out. Next is whith there being flakes that big on the inside but still strong how much longer can I expect the frame to hold up in new york winters? I am going to spray the inside with the eastwood coating but I feel it is pointless with out removing the big flakes. As I mentioned in a previous post my mechanic said the frame dosnt seem like it would fail inspection in any area but I don't like the flakes I am feeling on the inside. It is such a shame this happens to these trucks the rest of the truck is mint. I am hoping to get atleast 3-4 years out of the truck.

2. Oct 16, 2014 at 6:16 AM
    Yfz 450

Member:
    Rockland ny
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4x4
    How are you guys fishing big flakes out of the frame

3. Oct 16, 2014 at 2:06 PM
    Sin

Sin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Superior, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5 4x4 excab 3.4
    Have you taken it in to Toyota? Is it still covered under that frame recall? If you have a quarter size hole in your frame they will replace it. If not you should have someone weld a plate over the area at least.
    No idea how to get you rust chips out of there. On my own truck I used a powerful pressure washer, did the whole underside and sticking it in the holes on the frame wherever i could.
    After a couple of days making sure its dry I used a "Garden Sprayer" to spray everything under the car, even shot it into the front fender, rear fender, took those plugs out behind the cab and shot in there. Inside the sprayer I used Rustoleum and Mineral Spirits. Something like 4 parts Mineral Spirits and 1 part Rustoleum. If you decide to do this make sure its over some gravel because its going to leak all over.
    Not sure how that will work out for me but its cheap enough to do every spring. The Rustoleum was only 8 bucks, Mineral spirits was 15 bucks for a gallon. Did the whole underside and still have some leftover for next year.
    If you decide to go this route get a sprayer with a flexible wand. The longer the better. Also small enough diameter to fit in those holes in the frame.
    Nothing wrong with the Eastwood product though. I just like doing things a little cheaper.

Here's the sprayer I have. Very flexible wand on it. Had no trouble shooting into frame.

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/chapin-...e&adid=29963&gclid=CIum2N2LssECFStgMgodTRoAng

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  4. Oct 16, 2014 at 4:50 PM
    Yfz 450

Member:
    Rockland ny
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4x4
    My truck is a 98 so it is out of the 15 years. As I was working on it again today unfortunately I found another weak spot in the c channel this time so that's kind of depressing. It looked like a little spot of surface rust but I gave it a tap with the hammer and it gave way. I guess my dreams of 4 years are out the window and so is my 6k I spent. At that point I called it quits for the day I am just really disgusted.

5. Oct 18, 2014 at 4:37 AM
    Sin

Sin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Superior, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5 4x4 excab 3.4

Products Discussed in

To Top