1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch master cylinder and gear grinding sound

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Uncle, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Oct 16, 2014 at 7:28 PM
    Uncle

Uncle [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    marietta
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5 TRD
    I have a 98 v6, I tried adjusting the plunger length on the master cylinder. It drove for about a day, then when I went to start it after work there was no clutch at all. just pedal to the floor. I pulled out the pin in the pedal, ( there was a little bit of fluid at the fire wall) spun it around and stuck it back in and it was working. So I am thinking I need a new master cylinder, thing is when I bought the truck, it was supposedly replaced. Reason I started to adjust it in the first place was there is a faint gear grinding sound around 1300rpms in second gear. And at times you can hear a "ping" like metal clanking when you put it in reverse. what is the best master cylinder? can it be anything else? thanks

2. Oct 17, 2014 at 6:12 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    The grinding and metal "ping" sounds when in gear is a bit scary and I'm assuming has nothing to do with the hydraulics. Others who are wiser than me can chime in.

As for best master cylinder, you'll get a lot of answers... I just went with OEM. It lasted me 170,000 ish miles on my 1998, figured might as well go that route again.

Aisin is the manufacturer of OEM parts so if you can find them cheaper online somewhere you should be good to go.

Products Discussed in

To Top