1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Idler pulley removal question?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Ktaco, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Oct 19, 2014 at 12:55 PM
    Ktaco

Ktaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    03 Black 4x4 TRD SR5 Xtra cab.
    Grey wire mod, Deck plate mod, diff breather mod. K&N air filter. Toytec coilovers. AAL. Custom rear lift shackles. diff drop. Centerforce clutch. Superwinch LP8500 with custom "behind bumper" mount. Winch solenoid relocation with in cab winch control. 33x12x15 Duratracs. Aisin manual hub swap.
    So I lost my idler pulley assembly a few years back; pulley, tensioner, bolt, all of it. I finally got around to picking up a replacement from a salvage yard but it came with a whole bracket assembly that bolts to the motor.

My question is can I remove just the pulley and put it on my truck without replacing that whole bracket, or is it sold as one piece. I know I can remove just the pulley itself but I can't seem to get off the bolt that holds it on that slides in the slot to adjust it. I'll post pictures in a bit to clarify what it is I'm talking about.

2. Oct 19, 2014 at 1:01 PM
    Ktaco

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Grey wire mod, Deck plate mod, diff breather mod. K&N air filter. Toytec coilovers. AAL. Custom rear lift shackles. diff drop. Centerforce clutch. Superwinch LP8500 with custom "behind bumper" mount. Winch solenoid relocation with in cab winch control. 33x12x15 Duratracs. Aisin manual hub swap.
    So this is what I have left on my truck...
    [​IMG]

And this is the part I picked up...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Oct 19, 2014 at 1:07 PM
    Ktaco

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    And this is the part I need to get off. It seems as though it may be pressed together.
    [​IMG]

4. Oct 19, 2014 at 1:49 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    That nut should come right off on the other side. keep the adjusting bolt in there and take off the pulley nut. Looks pretty rusted though. Spray some penetrating lube in there then see if it'll budge loose.

5. Oct 19, 2014 at 2:11 PM
    Ktaco

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Jumped the gun too soon. I cleaned it all up with a wire wheel and used vice grips to hold one side and a pipe wrench to twist the other side. With a little persuasion it came apart.

6. Oct 19, 2014 at 5:13 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    yep, just bolt that pulley on your bracket and your done.

how the heck are you driving around without it by the way :confused::confused::confused:

got pictures ?

7. Oct 19, 2014 at 5:21 PM
    Ktaco

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    It may not be the idler pulley but maybe the tensioner pulley...whatever one runs tightens the A/C belt. So I just had no a/c for about the past 3 years. All that work was in vain anyway because once I got the pulley and belt on I started it up only to hear a very rough sounding pulley. I figured it may have been the bearing in that little one but it seems to be the pulley on the a/c compressor. So that'll be a job for another day seeing if there is a bearing in there to change. Not like I need a/c anyway as the summer weather is long gone.

8. Oct 19, 2014 at 5:35 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    yep its the same thing, its called the idler pulley tensioner because it does both. they call stuff idler pulleys if its a freewheeling pulley.

I saw a post somewhere on a cheap fix for the idler pulley by just swapping out the bearing inside it so I think you can do the same for the compressor too. I forget where I saw it though but it has a number stamped on it and you just buy a $10 replacement bearing and put it in. very straight forward fix for the pulley and I would guess the a/c bearing is the same. I would caution though that sometimes the a/c clutch idler pulley shaft goes through the front seal of the compressor so do some research, if it does it might be easier to just get a salvage yard compressor since I wouldn't mess with the a/c seals since they are hard to get resealed properly for some reason

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  9. Oct 19, 2014 at 5:37 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    I was gonna say, that pulley being rusted may be no good. One way is to spray a bunch of lube in there and see. Idk if it'll penetrate in there or not. Worth a shot tho. A new one isn't too bad. I think I paid like $35 maybe, I don't remember.

10. Oct 19, 2014 at 5:52 PM
    Ktaco

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Ya I'm quite sure it's the pulley on the pump making the racket. It wasn't seized when I put the belt on but it wasn't easily turned either; which is understandable seeing how it wasn't used in years. After I ran it with the belt on the pulley loosened up and now when I spin it by hand it's quite loud and also has play to it.

11. Oct 19, 2014 at 7:08 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Yeah it's probly that then. If they aren't ran for extended periods then they'll fail. It's suggested that you run your ac from time to time in the winter to keep it all lubed up and whatnot. You probly know this. but a lot of people don't. And that's why they fail so quickly. They make rebuild kits for em too I think. But it's a pain from what I hear. I'm not sure. Never had to do it.

12. Oct 19, 2014 at 7:57 PM
    MikeZ

MikeZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Your AC turns on when you use the defrost so that it runs in the winter and to pull out humidity as well. So you shouldn't have to turn it on during the winter.

Products Discussed in

To Top