1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shock help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by scaira, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Oct 22, 2014 at 1:59 PM
    scaira

scaira [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi guys. I have a 2002 double cab 3.4 tacomA. 320000kms and I just replaced my stock rear shocks on the weekend. After lots of reading it sounded like I could get away with 5100 billies and maintain stock ride height. So I did the swap. To easy.

But my question is that the shock and boot look very compressed once I was done. Are my leafs sagging too much now? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Img attached

image.jpg

2. Oct 22, 2014 at 2:10 PM
    TIPICOTACO

TIPICOTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC 4X4 TRD "RAD BARON"
    Some lift, some armor, some scratches..
    Your leafs look toast! Also I recommend flipping the shocks boots down, mine built up alot of dirt/mud/water on the shaft before I switched them

3. Oct 22, 2014 at 2:25 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    hard to tell while its still jacked up but they do look way too compressed (the shocks), I think you got the wrong size shocks for it? 4wd and prerunners use different length shocks then regular non prerunner 2wd trucks do so make sure you get a stock replacement match for the truck and not one for lifted trucks

also shock cups always go on top because its a mud guard and dust shield or it fills with mud and crap, I don't how or see why some people cant see how obvious this is but I see them put on upside down a lot

leafs always look flat like that when its jacked up

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  4. Oct 22, 2014 at 2:39 PM
    Fiend13

Fiend13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    You have a picture of you leafs with truck off jacks?

5. Oct 22, 2014 at 2:59 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    also unless your off roading or rock climbing you don't need fancy shocks, those $25 stock replacement moroes you get from autozone or pep boys are just as good and give you just as nice a ride as those $100 each shocks you can buy with the pretty paint and flashy stickers on em

now, that said, if it is for off roading then that's something different but the idea is the same, don't overpay for flashy stickers and top name brands when a basic name brand shock for less money works just as good.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  6. Oct 22, 2014 at 3:02 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    What are the part #s of the shocks? Is your tuck a 6 Lug?

The shock should be mounted the other way.

7. Oct 22, 2014 at 3:05 PM
    Fiend13

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    Thought it looked a little funny

8. Oct 22, 2014 at 3:05 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    Yea looks like the axle is still jacked up. Take a picture with the truck sitting on all 4 tires. Looks like you have serious negative arch in your leaf springs though, so unless it looks way better at ride height, your leaf springs need to be replaced or get an add a leaf.

You can also do some measuring to see if the shocks are too long. Disconnect the shocks, jack up one side of the axle and measure shock mount to shock mount and compare that to the 5100 compressed length.

9. Oct 22, 2014 at 4:43 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    I cut mine off. They were like little dirty fish tanks :p

10. Oct 22, 2014 at 5:30 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    I forget where I read it but it said to not use boots for that very reason. They trap moisture and dirt where if you dont have boots the dirt can be washed away and dry off eventually.

11. Oct 22, 2014 at 5:57 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    There was a thread not too long about where the guy's shaft snapped because of rust from water trapped by the boot. Its not common but not all that uncommon either.

Cut the sleeve off and leave your shocks oriented that way to protect it from rocks and shit I say.

12. Oct 23, 2014 at 6:02 AM
    scaira

scaira [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for all the help guys/gals.

It is a 4wd 6 lug. The part # I used were f4-be5-d559-to and f4-be5-d560-to

And that jack under the axle isn't holding anything up. Tires are all flat on the ground.

I thought my leafs were supposed to have a negative arc,not sure how much? Just looking at the shock it seems way to much. Haha

Good info about taking the boot off, don't think I'll flip it though. That won't help my problem and it doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks again.

13. Oct 23, 2014 at 6:36 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    Looks like you have a RCD sticker on there. You got them through Down South Motorsports right? Contact them, they have great customer service. Dan from Wheelers has great service as well and can help if you need new springs too.

14. Oct 23, 2014 at 7:20 AM
    Fiend13

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    Leafs aren't suppose to have a negative arc, otherwise you wouldn't be able to load very much in the back. The shocks may look like they're too big because your leafs are sagging.

15. Oct 23, 2014 at 7:27 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:

sorry but I didn't look at the picture close enough, your shocks are mounted correctly. my comments on flipping it was mainly talking about the sleeve within a sleeve type shocks because if those are put on upside down its just a cup that fills with water and mud and crap that destroys the seals in the shock.

if yours has a boot on it then it should be installed with the boot up so its more protected and out of the way so the boot doesn't get torn. as mentioned if you think the boots will be under water or under soupy mud then its best to remove them because crap will get inside them

16. Oct 23, 2014 at 8:02 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    Mount with canister up. Also mine was like this on stock leaf but I never had issues. Now they look better with new leaf pack. I also had to cut the zip tie off the boot and move the boot so it doesn't look so smushed if that made sense. Just added a new zip tie after I moved the boot into the canister more.

17. Oct 23, 2014 at 9:43 AM
    4x4yota

4x4yota 4wd is awesome

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    PA
    Vehicle:
    02 trd stepside v6
  18. Oct 23, 2014 at 11:28 AM
    scaira

scaira [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks guys. Called the boys at downsouthmotorsports, confirmed I used the right shocks for stock ride height Tacoma. All comes back to the leafs. There dead. So now I'm exploring options of either a new leaf pack, or aal. Don't have lots of money to throw around so will prolly go with an aal. Thanks everyone for their input

19. Oct 23, 2014 at 12:50 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I also don't have a lot of money and find these a great option:
    they also have great prices on the bushings if you need to replace them too as most of us do

but there is nothing wrong with my leafs so before you aal make sure what you have is going to work because if they are bad enough then aal may not be enough on its own

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  20. Oct 23, 2014 at 1:02 PM
    4x4yota

4x4yota 4wd is awesome

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    PA
    Vehicle:
    02 trd stepside v6
    Im no expert but I think he is wrong. Like I said the 5100 are extended travel shocks. Meant for lifted trucks.
    When u have a lift on a truck with stock shocks you now have more travel and articulation. So if you don't upgrade your shocks also you will over extend them and break them. From up travel
    Now if you have extended shocks meant for lifted tucks but yours isn't lifted then they will be compressed more and limit down travel and possibly bottom out the shocks and break them
    Again you have two factors making your shock look compressed. No lift with the shocks and wore out leaf springs.
    If you at least fix the leaf springs sag it will help but if you off road hard you still risk bottoming out the shocks due to no lift on extended shocks

Products Discussed in

To Top