Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Shock help

Old 10-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
scaira is on a distinguished road
scaira's Tacoma Gallery
Shock help

Hi guys. I have a 2002 double cab 3.4 tacomA. 320000kms and I just replaced my stock rear shocks on the weekend. After lots of reading it sounded like I could get away with 5100 billies and maintain stock ride height. So I did the swap. To easy.

But my question is that the shock and boot look very compressed once I was done. Are my leafs sagging too much now? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Img attached
Attached Thumbnails
Shock help-image.jpg  
Old 10-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
keakar is on a distinguished road
keakar's Tacoma Gallery
hard to tell while its still jacked up but they do look way too compressed (the shocks), I think you got the wrong size shocks for it? 4wd and prerunners use different length shocks then regular non prerunner 2wd trucks do so make sure you get a stock replacement match for the truck and not one for lifted trucks

also shock cups always go on top because its a mud guard and dust shield or it fills with mud and crap, I don't how or see why some people cant see how obvious this is but I see them put on upside down a lot

leafs always look flat like that when its jacked up
Old 10-22-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
You have a picture of you leafs with truck off jacks?
Old 10-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
keakar is on a distinguished road
keakar's Tacoma Gallery
also unless your off roading or rock climbing you don't need fancy shocks, those $25 stock replacement moroes you get from autozone or pep boys are just as good and give you just as nice a ride as those $100 each shocks you can buy with the pretty paint and flashy stickers on em

now, that said, if it is for off roading then that's something different but the idea is the same, don't overpay for flashy stickers and top name brands when a basic name brand shock for less money works just as good.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
What are the part #s of the shocks? Is your tuck a 6 Lug?

The shock should be mounted the other way.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #7
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
What are the part #s of the shocks? Is your tuck a 6 Lug?

The shock should be mounted the other way.
Thought it looked a little funny
Old 10-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #8
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Yea looks like the axle is still jacked up. Take a picture with the truck sitting on all 4 tires. Looks like you have serious negative arch in your leaf springs though, so unless it looks way better at ride height, your leaf springs need to be replaced or get an add a leaf.

You can also do some measuring to see if the shocks are too long. Disconnect the shocks, jack up one side of the axle and measure shock mount to shock mount and compare that to the 5100 compressed length.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #9
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
Your leafs look toast! Also I recommend flipping the shocks boots down, mine built up alot of dirt/mud/water on the shaft before I switched them
I cut mine off. They were like little dirty fish tanks
Old 10-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #10
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
I cut mine off. They were like little dirty fish tanks
I forget where I read it but it said to not use boots for that very reason. They trap moisture and dirt where if you dont have boots the dirt can be washed away and dry off eventually.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #11
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
I forget where I read it but it said to not use boots for that very reason. They trap moisture and dirt where if you dont have boots the dirt can be washed away and dry off eventually.
There was a thread not too long about where the guy's shaft snapped because of rust from water trapped by the boot. Its not common but not all that uncommon either.

Cut the sleeve off and leave your shocks oriented that way to protect it from rocks and shit I say.