1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Insulation under the carpet

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Darryle, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Oct 23, 2014 at 9:29 AM
    Darryle

Darryle [OP] It is just a truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Darryle
    Weatherford, Texas
    I pulled out the rear seat to put on my Wet Okole's and there isn't any insulation under the carpet. We'll at least as far as I looked.

Have anyone of y'all added insulation, if so what kind and where'd you get it?

I am thinking it would help with the summer heat and drastically cut down the road noise.

I used a double foil backed 1/4" insulation on my toy hauler tow rig several yrs ago and it really cut down on the noise, but it was a 1 ton single wheel 4wd with mud terrains.

Thanks Darryle

2. Oct 23, 2014 at 9:32 AM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    I tore mine out, along with the carpet. It is noisier, but I plan to raptor line it come summer. Try Jcwhitney if you want stockish insulation. You could bedline it then put your carpet back in, I hear that helps with sound.

3. Oct 23, 2014 at 9:39 AM
    dark tangent

dark tangent Well-Known Member

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Rigid Dually D2 Amber Driving LEDs mounted on CBI Offroad ditch light brackets.
    I'm a big fan of Dynamat. I installed it in a '70 Chevelle I once had, and currently adding it to my '79 Toyota Pickup and it really cuts down on the heat being emitted by the transmission and engine. The noise reduction was noticeably less, but not drastically less. I've found that Ebay is the best place to get it, if you're interested. I'm sure there's other products that do the same. Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Oct 23, 2014 at 9:40 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    they usually don't put much padding if at all under carpets and its mainly on the tranny hump for the heat and that's about it.

they make something called sound mat that reduces sound and keeps out some of the heat so its good to strip everything out bare and then cover all the flooring and the back wall of the cab with it up to the point its at or very near the back window.

this makes the truck much quieter and you don't hear the road under you when you are driving.

sound mat is not expensive for what it does but its not what I would call cheap either so for my trucks I use this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Typar-6-...-Stick-Flashing-Roll-XHWTP3204F-001/203897514

its a rubber membrane with self stick backing you put down like tape. its not as thick as sound mat but I put on two layers overlapping the edges and then it is as thick as the sound mat stuff. you can trim it with scissors and its fast and easy and as soon as its on tap on the floor you covered and the side you didn't and you will see how something so simple can make such a huge difference.

the only thing is this stuff might peel some over time on vertical surfaces so I wouldn't use it inside the doors or anything where things are moving around it could interfere with if it sags.

5. Oct 23, 2014 at 9:56 AM
    Tuctaco

Tuctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD OR 4x4
    Katzkins, Redline hood struts, Pop & Lock,285/75/16 Toyo Open County ATll, 16X8 Konig Countersteer, Icon extended coilovers, Icon rear shocks, Icon progressive leaf pack, LR UCA's, extended brake lines,
  6. Oct 23, 2014 at 1:12 PM
    EdFlecko

EdFlecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Sacramento, California
  7. Oct 23, 2014 at 1:26 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Insulation under the carpet is meant to cut down on heat transfer. Like dark_tangent experienced with Dynomat, it helped with the heat but not so much noise.

That's because sound deadner like Raammat and Dynomat cut down on noise by reducing resonance on body panels. The floors of our cab are very solid because of the way they are built and all the shit riveted/bolted/welded(?) to it. So you can add Dyonmat et al to the floor and you won't notice much of a difference in noise reduction.

To truly cut down on road noise from the floor, mass loaded vinyl is the most recommended. You could then add a layer of Ensolite (from raamaudio) on top of that.

8. Oct 23, 2014 at 2:03 PM
    dark tangent

dark tangent Well-Known Member

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Rigid Dually D2 Amber Driving LEDs mounted on CBI Offroad ditch light brackets.
    The OP mentioned heat and noise, so I guess I mainly focused on heat. Good info about the mass loaded vinyl though, good to know.

9. Oct 23, 2014 at 2:18 PM
    Darryle

Darryle [OP] It is just a truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Darryle
    Weatherford, Texas
    I haven't driven it on any real hot days since I bought it. I just assumed that heat would be cut down since there was a lack of insulation.

I did notice the noise was considerably louder with the rear seat removed. I noticed all the bolts on the front and rear seats go thru to the exterior.

I am going to research all the posted options and figure out which one is best for me. Once I do, I'll post up a thread of before and after, hopefully with a couple of sound files.

Thanks Darryle

10. Oct 23, 2014 at 4:37 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    That's because your rear cab wall is the biggest culprit of road noise. The rear wall is very resonant.

Your best bang for the buck to reduce noise is to buy the basic kit from raamaudio (I think it's around $120). That's enough to completely sound deaden your rear wall, two front doors and have a bit left over. Since your a DC you might have to get a little bit more.

When I used the raammat and ensolite on my extra cab, the noise reduction was drastic. Easily some of the best money I've spent. Not only did it significantly cut down on road noise it vastly improved the sound quality of my speakers/set up.

Products Discussed in

To Top