Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

truck bed question

Old 10-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
dirtkarter is on a distinguished road
Name: Jonathan
dirtkarter's Tacoma Gallery
truck bed question

I need to replace the bed on my 98 Tacoma I found a 96 will they interchange???
Old 10-23-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
keakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shed
keakar's Tacoma Gallery
1995.5-2004 are the same

so if its a 1995 make sure it was made at the end of the year not the middle

not really sure why they have that half year thing in there but I assume they made some sort of changes to class it that way.

personally I think the only change from pre 1995.5 years is the bed is rounded over at the top where the old ones folded over the outside to make the rail, but there probably is more to it then that
Old 10-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #3
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder if the 6-foot beds are different between the extended cab and regular cab? Same body mount positions?
Old 10-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
Compulsive tinkerer
MrRiverMan is a glorious beacon of lightMrRiverMan is a glorious beacon of lightMrRiverMan is a glorious beacon of lightMrRiverMan is a glorious beacon of lightMrRiverMan is a glorious beacon of light

MrRiverMan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
1995.5-2004 are the same

so if its a 1995 make sure it was made at the end of the year not the middle

not really sure why they have that half year thing in there but I assume they made some sort of changes to class it that way.

personally I think the only change from pre 1995.5 years is the bed is rounded over at the top where the old ones folded over the outside to make the rail, but there probably is more to it then that
Actually, the ones that folded over the side were earlier, like in the 70s and 80s up until '89, when they released the newer model without the folded over bed. Those ones with the folded over bed were super prone to body rust, too.

They did the '95.5 thing because they made the older version of the Hilux truck into 1995 because they didn't get the Tacoma ready as quick as they expected. So they called the first Tacomas '95.5s so people wouldn't confuse them with the older Hilux style trucks - which were mostly just called Toyota pickups at the time. I had a '94 and drove it for 210k happy miles before I sold it for $5k and used the dough for a down payment on an '00 Tacoma.

As for whether Tacoma beds are different for 1st gens between '95.5 and '04, and between regular and extended cabs, I think they're all the same except for the paint colors, decals, and brush guards.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #6
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
I know any 6 foot first gen taco bed will work. I'm willing to bet any 6 foot 90's hilux or pickup bed would work as well with little to no modification.