Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Installed AAL's, somethings wrong!

Old 10-25-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
wncjim is on a distinguished road
wncjim's Tacoma Gallery
Installed AAL's, somethings wrong!

I need help. The install went well but now the suspension feels solid, like a go cart. It lifted the rear almost 4", they were supposed to be 3" and I expected 2 or 2.5" because my leafs had a slight frown.
What could be the cause?
Old 10-25-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
ndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: NICK
ndcmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncjim View Post
I need help. The install went well but now the suspension feels solid, like a go cart. It lifted the rear almost 4", they were supposed to be 3" and I expected 2 or 2.5" because my leafs had a slight frown.
What could be the cause?
Pictures would help a bunch in figuring out what's going on.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
Compulsive tinkerer
MrRiverMan is a glorious beacon of lightMrRiverMan is a glorious beacon of lightMrRiverMan is a glorious beacon of lightMrRiverMan is a glorious beacon of lightMrRiverMan is a glorious beacon of light

MrRiverMan's Tacoma Gallery
Did you remove your overload spring? Some of those AALs assume that you will remove that thing when you install the AAL.

I had AALs on my last Tacoma, and the rear suspension felt like a rock. I needed it for the weight I was hauling, but the truck rode like shit after I installed them. I will definitely go with a progressive AAL if and when I put one on my current Taco.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #4
wncjim's Tacoma Gallery
I kept the overload leafs. I put the aal above the overload and under the other leafs.
I will try to get a couple of pic's.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
wncjim's Tacoma Gallery
Attached Thumbnails
Installed AAL's, somethings wrong!-img_20141025_153857.jpg   Installed AAL's, somethings wrong!-img_20141025_154015.jpg  
Old 10-25-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
FARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud of
Coast Guard: MK
Name: Ryan
FARNORCAL's Tacoma Gallery
Thats a beefy AAL
Old 10-25-2014, 02:10 PM   #7
"young Brett"
Squeaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Squeaky Penguin's Tacoma Gallery
That's one hell of a thick AAL. Usually, they're the same thickness as the other leaves. Where'd that come from OP?
Old 10-25-2014, 02:52 PM   #8
wncjim's Tacoma Gallery
I got them on Ebay, they are called "Tuff Country".
Maybe they sent me the wrong kit? These must for an F350 dually!
Old 10-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #9
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
That's the aal that's usually used for 1/2 ton and up trucks. You'd be better off getting a wheelers aal or making your own.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #10
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncjim View Post
I got them on Ebay, they are called "Tuff Country".
Should've at least gotten a semi-reputable brand like Toytec or Pro Comp.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #11
Unchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dave Trends Auto
Unchained 5150's Tacoma Gallery
+ 1 On that, you get what you pay for?
Old 10-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #12
UrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant future
Name: David
UrPebkac's Tacoma Gallery
Yea. That won't settle much or ride smooth IMHO.
Only fix for that is a different AAL. If you have a bad back, don't even think about larger(e rated) tires.

The sharp arch that has added to your factory leafs may even be adding lots of stress to them. They look like a V rather than a gradual U. If you you are getting 4" out of that your oem shocks are likely topping out over speed bumps too.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #13
wncjim's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, these things are being replaced. I'm searching for alternatives now.
At the moment I think I may go with Wheelers 2" aal and bilstein 5100's for the front.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #15
northwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
northwesttaco's Tacoma Gallery
get a 3 leaf progressive aal. They last a lot longer, better ride and hold more weight. I have Icon and love it but wheelers also makes a good one I have heard. So worth the extra money, raised my back end up 2.5 inches exactly, well 2.25 over stock since I have a canopy
Old 10-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #16
Señor Member
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
Progressive aal for the win
Old 10-25-2014, 09:19 PM   #17
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons View Post
With a rear lift I suggest getting new shocks , like someone else said , you will fully extend your shocks going over bumps and it will ride like poop and will mess up your shocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwesttaco View Post
get a 3 leaf progressive aal. They last a lot longer, better ride and hold more weight.
@wncjim: Now do you understand that modding the Taco is a slippery slope? Have an end goal in mind (pavement queen, rock crawler, expedition, desert jumper) and buy parts toward that goal.

3 leaf progressive AAL is about halfway in cost between a basic AAL and a full upgraded leaf pack.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #18
northwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
northwesttaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons View Post
With a rear lift I suggest getting new shocks , like someone else said , you will fully extend your shocks going over bumps and it will ride like poop and will mess up your shocks
Look at my build but with the Icon 3 leaf AAL I also got a 1 inch block. The U bolts that come with the Icon AAL are long enough to also add a 1 inch block without needing longer ones. Also go through downsouthmotorsports.com for any shocks (may also have the 3 leaf AAL too), best deal by far
Old 01-08-2015, 02:18 AM   #19
Arctic Taco is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: Steve
Arctic Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Try a Dastar or a tuff country but go for the longest one you can get, I got a Daystar AAl abot 30"+ and it gave me about a 2-1/2" lift and doesn't sag unless I have around >500# in the back. Doesn't ride too stiff, and should last until I can afford OMEs.
I picked mine up on Ebay from an outfit in Utah.