1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cleaned AC system, heater not working anymore

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by brettb, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Oct 26, 2014 at 1:47 PM
    brettb

brettb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma
    My AC compressor was seized for a few years, so I removed and cleaned the entire system before installing a new compressor. Now my heater is not producing heat. Everything else works, including the AC, but now the heater is not producing heat.

Any ideas as to what could be the problem? How I could check if the core is working?

Thanks!

2. Oct 26, 2014 at 1:58 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    the heater works off of the water pump and there should be a valve that sends water through it when you call for heat. the heater core is just like a radiator and the valve may not be opening or the core may be blocked up and not flowing water.

try disconnecting the heater hoses and run water through it in the opposite direction to flush it out.

in thre center of the firewall there is a little black box with a rod that opens and closes the valve to send water through the heater core, make sire its working, on some vehicles it works off of vacuum but on our first gen trucks its a simple cable operated lever so have someone move the control while you confirm the lever is working and it isn't disconnected. in the past on older trucks, if you didnt use antifreeze, the paddle inside this valve that stops the water flow will rot out and water will go through it all the time running the heater 24/7 making people think the a/c was broken but I think they are all made of plastic now to prevent that but sometimes if the a/c is cooling right this heater valve not working correctly might be the reason.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top