1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with mud flap/ppf options on lift.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by NightProwler, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Oct 30, 2014 at 3:08 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Eventually I'll need to invest in or fab some mud flaps for my lifted 01 taco prerunner. Since I've had the truck it's been getting pelted really bad on the rocker panels and even high up as far as the top of bed and doors. Even some on the hood from rocks getting flung forwards from the front tires. Also had my side mirrors pelted which still need to be replaced. Even had one ricochet inside and break my passenger side ac air vent! Lmao...
    I live on a nasty dirt road so it's been a problem . Haven't been too worried about it because the paint job is so shitty and looks like a cheap maco spray over or something. So I figured I would worry about it when it comes time to give her fresh paint. Now a couple things will affect my choices for mud flaps. I'll list the details and maybe you guys can give me some options. Or show me what you have as far as it being similar to what I'll need. Or if you know someone that fabs them let me know too. I should be able to do it myself. But for a reasonable price I could possibly pay someone to do it thats local to me in Az. Or if there's aftermarket ones that I could purchase... I've heard guys just get the big semi truck flaps and cut them down.
    Also I don't remember what company online I saw but they sold clear plastic mud flaps and I thought those looked pretty sick. Anyways..

Truck has:
    -2.5" lift (maybe more later down the road like 3") with a 'proper' lift vs current spacer lift.
    -33x12.5x15 bfg's
    -stock fender flares
    -1/4" wheel spacers/washers to accommodate aftermarket rims. Will be getting .5" or 1" legit bolt on spacers in the near future.

Can't think of any other factors that affect it besides I'm sure you know with the tires I'm running they stick out about an inch outside of the fender flares already. And even more when I get the bolt on spacers. So I'm really needing mud flaps to protect my paint and mirrors. Only other thing would be that im sure you guys know, with the 33's, there's very little room in the front and the tire barely clears after the pinch weld mod. still rubs in specific scenarios. But yeah, I would probly need to fab a support bracket mounted underneath perhaps from the frame, up and over, or something like that, Idk.

I have looked a little bit into other options because I would rather not have mud flaps at all. I thought about getting the ppf (paint protection film) or something of that nature. But I heard it doesn't last and kinda shrinks. Or maybe even doing the bed liner on the sides about a foot up from the bottom all the way down. But it needs to be resprayed every so often to keep it looking "fresh". Plus I would think that would collect a ton of dust and just look filthy all the time. But if I did one of these options, my mirrors would still be susceptible. Kinda 'need' the flaps for my mirrors. I thought about putting a (black) mesh screen over them but Idk how that's gonna look. Meh. Maybe if I use the honeycomb perforated grille mesh, that might look kinda :cool:

So tell me some options.
    What you used or 'would' use as far as materials for the flaps.
    What would work best either a ppf option or flaps.
    Post some pics of your rock protection method whether it be flaps/ppf film/ bed liner..

Thanks. I hope this thread takes off, haven't really seen much dedicated to this issue. Unless I just haven't found it, then share it.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  2. Oct 31, 2014 at 5:30 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    If the tires stick out past the oem flares already without a spacer,,then mudflaps are a mute point at this time.

Add your spacer and see where you are at as far as covering that tire in that regard and adjust accordingly,,then fit some custom mudflaps. Sounds like you need a bit bigger fender flare to start off with before mudflaps or anything else.

If you toss a rock into the windshield of the state patrol behind you,,he's gonna go postal and you will get the red and blue special mighty fast. It seems you want to work those issues to avoid that and that's respectable.

mahaloTaco likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top