1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another Differential swap question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 03tacopat, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Nov 2, 2014 at 12:03 AM
    03tacopat

03tacopat [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma ext-cab SR5 2.7ltre
    6" Fabtech lift, warn winch, All Pro Baja front bumper, Oldman Emu rear Dakar leafs, Rear Bilstein 5150, Rear E-locker, ARB compressor, 33" TrXus road, 35" trail
    So I find out my 03 taco front IFS diff pinion bearing is pretty much gone and pinion nut doesn't tighten anymore, with a not so great gear ratio running 33s, would like to use at least 4:30 front diff from my parts 99' 4 runner v6 auto, I would assume front will bolt directly in as a whole unit, now as for rear ( to match gears) can I just replace the carrier (V6) into place of or does my 03 Tacoma with 2.7ltr. have 27 spline and the 4runner V6 diff 30 spline? if so then I have to use the axles to match 30spline. what about diff housing studs, same size? (I know older 4cyl housings had smaller studs than v6 ones) don't know about 1gen tacoma. will they bolt in with the ABS ring? as I assume tacoma uses a abs sensor on top of diff housing. (both my taco and the 99 4runner carriers have E-lockers. is there a interchange page or chart? thanks

2. Nov 2, 2014 at 11:26 AM
    xcmtb83

xcmtb83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa
    If both diffs are elocker you will be fine. You may have to swap actuators on the front diff though. The older one may be vacuum actuated where an '03 is electric. I just did this exact swap, 4.10 to 4.30. My truck is pretty lightweight and only running 33x10.5 C rated tires but there is a small noticeable difference and my speedo is more accurate now than it was with factory 31s. If you are heavily armored or running 33"+ tires, or a 4 cylinder I wouldn't waste my time with such a small increase.

Products Discussed in

To Top