1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear suspension install help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by copacetic1, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Nov 3, 2014 at 5:32 PM
    copacetic1

copacetic1 [OP] Don't get stuck on stupid.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 4X4 Dbl Cab
    Front: Bilstien 5100 / OME 880 Rear: Bilstein 5125 / Wheeler 5-leaf
    Hey folks, need some suspension expertise. I've got an '03 TRD double cab with 150k - stock, but has cap on the back and pretty severe Taco lean. I bought Billie 5125s and Wheeler’s 1.5″ Lift 5 Leaf Rear Spring Set for the back, and 5100s and OME 880 coils for the front. I'm expecting a small lift at most, wanted to fix the lean and improve the ride without much lift. Started on the rear shocks and springs and got as far as trying to remove the spring U-bolts but found them totally frozen on (after several days of PB blaster treatment). So, plan B, I ordered a new U-bolt set from Wheelers (dealer wanted $58 per bolt!) and will cut off the old ones when the new ones come in. Went ahead and installed the 5125s and put it all back together to drive until I can get to the springs. Took it for a test drive and when I checked the shocks found the drivers side nearly fully collapsed (about 1" left) and the passenger with 2-3" left before it would be fully collapsed. I think this is because the old leaf springs, particularly the drivers side, are completely shot as believe the 5125s are supposed to be a direct fit for stock height. Long story, but here's my questions: Is the shocks being compressed so much simply due to worn out springs? Should I park the truck until new springs are on, or can I safely drive it conservatively, no towing/hauling? Thanks for any feedback. Matt

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  2. Nov 4, 2014 at 6:38 AM
    mtnkid85

mtnkid85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MT
    Vehicle:
    1999 TRD Taco
    35s, Locked, blown
    So essentially your new shocks are longer than what ever shocks you replaced them with. If those shocks where sold to you with those lift springs then it could be a combination of your sagging stock leafs and the shocks being slightly longer than stock.

With only 1" of up travel left, I would be very careful about driving it. You don't want to be bottoming out the new shocks. Park it if you can, or just throw the old ones back on while you wait.

3. Nov 4, 2014 at 7:07 AM
    mustangstephen

mustangstephen raise hell, drink beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    by da creek
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    Homebrew bumpers and sliders, 5100s & Eibachs up front and mutt leaf pack out back, 285s & Wheelers type B, sway bar deleted. Wife's ride: 01 4Runner 4wd sport. Stock with exception of TRD taco coils, and shift kit.
    As stated already the answer is in the length of your new shocks compared to the originals. If longer than stock I'd put the originals back on. Also make sure the replacements were not left/right side specific. Factory replacements are slightly different lengths.

4. Nov 4, 2014 at 10:56 AM
    copacetic1

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 4X4 Dbl Cab
    Ok - thanks. Shocks are L/R specific and I've got them on the correct side. Should be able to get the new leafs on later this week so it is parked for now.

5. Nov 4, 2014 at 11:12 AM
    mustangstephen

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    by da creek
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    Homebrew bumpers and sliders, 5100s & Eibachs up front and mutt leaf pack out back, 285s & Wheelers type B, sway bar deleted. Wife's ride: 01 4Runner 4wd sport. Stock with exception of TRD taco coils, and shift kit.
    Just to double check will it bottom out on the bump stop or the shock first? Bump stop run it. I have some cheapo vato zone shocks that are a bit longer than stock but will still bottom out on the bump stop. You got to get 10" travel shocks to have to increase the bump stops and since you're not looking for lift I doubt you got the 26" extended length 10" travel shock package. And if you did you need to look into extending your rear brake line. Any more drop than factory stretches that little rubber line.

6. Nov 4, 2014 at 6:02 PM
    copacetic1

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 4X4 Dbl Cab
    It will be close on the bumpstop and if it is a hard hit I'm sure it would bottom out the shock. Here's the note from the website on the 5125s: This shock set up is recommended for vehicles with no lift, or stock height in the rear. The collapsed dimensions are shorter than the 5100 rear shocks. Driver Side 8" Travel: Ext. 21.54" Col. 13.58" Pass. Side 8.5" Travel: Ext. 22.5" Col. 14.06". I'm hoping the new leafs solve this but may look into a taller bump stop as well.

7. Nov 5, 2014 at 7:55 AM
    mustangstephen

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    by da creek
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    That should be short enough when collapsed not to damage the shock and just bottom out on the bump stop.

Products Discussed in

To Top