1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is this weird or is it just me?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Slinky, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Nov 4, 2014 at 1:11 PM
    Slinky

Slinky [OP] Whatchu talkin bout willis?

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma
    Flowmaster 40 series muffler, Doug Thorley Headerd, MTX RTS10-04 10" sub, Boss Audio R1100M amp, Viper 3305V Alarm, 22" Digi-Diodes LED bar mounted on custom bumper, Camburg Long Travel up front with Fox 8" coilovers and 600# Eibach Coils 07-14-16
    So on sunday (11/2) me and some buddies were at my house and when we were going to leave, we hopped in my truck and I pushed the brake. When I pushed the brake all of the dash lights came on. I haven't ever noticed this before and I have had my truck for over 2 years.... I replaced my brake lights with LEDs from pepboys if that is at all relevant. I started noticing this after replacing the brake lights. I havent opened them up again to see if I may have pinched a wire or something. I'm gonna do that today. Any suggestions?

2. Nov 4, 2014 at 2:04 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    from what I read about these trucks you need to install resistors for the LED lights so they function correctly otherwise the truck acts weird

3. Nov 4, 2014 at 2:17 PM
    Mr Ribby

Mr Ribby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 "Baja"
    Pioneer DvD double din, pioneer 5way front door speakers, kicker 3 way rear door speaker
    I would defiantly check load resistors, otherwise the LEDs will "freak out." Like Keakar said, I think you have to run resistors with LEDs at least from my experiences.

4. Nov 6, 2014 at 12:02 AM
    Slinky

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma
    Flowmaster 40 series muffler, Doug Thorley Headerd, MTX RTS10-04 10" sub, Boss Audio R1100M amp, Viper 3305V Alarm, 22" Digi-Diodes LED bar mounted on custom bumper, Camburg Long Travel up front with Fox 8" coilovers and 600# Eibach Coils 07-14-16
    Im probably gonna switch them out. I dont mind running normal bulbs. I just wanted to give brighter LEDs a try! Thanks for the help gents!

5. Nov 6, 2014 at 12:16 AM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    These trucks were meant for incandescent bulbs which take higher voltages and current to ignite than the LEDs. Thus many of the truck's behind the scenes functions will be apparent with small voltage surges used to check continuity. I believe the Tacoma uses a language that many low level computer circuits use called TTL (a serial communication protocol). TTL uses 3.3v when it encodes its signal which is more than enough to light the LEDs up. I have noticed on my fully LED swapped cluster that whenever I turn on the headlights the highbeam indicator will come on for a split second as well. Also my airbag light is always dimmly lit as well, I believe this is because the airbag circuit is always sensing for safety. Hope this sheds some light on what should be harmless side effects. Always good to check your connections anyway, the thin flappy circuit boards used on the cluster seem like they might be prone to voltage or electromagnetic bleeding as well which could cause low draw LEDs to light up.

6. Nov 6, 2014 at 12:21 AM
    Slinky

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma
    Thanks Speedytech! That was some good info.

Products Discussed in

To Top