Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dealerships can't help me, I know you guys can

Old 04-25-2009, 12:39 AM   #1
God's Sun is on a distinguished road
Army: 19 Delta- a long time ago
God's Sun's Tacoma Gallery
Dealerships can't help me, I know you guys can

I have a 96 toyota tacoma 3.4L 4WD.. during normal highway driving my crankshaft pulley started to come loose, lots of lights and a crankshaft position sensor code and i pulled over immediately pulled over and shut down the vehicle, after a tow home i discovered my crankshaft pulley loose. I have it ready to go back together...timing was unaffected, and my crank suffered no damage. My question is on the inner collar of the pulley that actually is in contact with the shaft has a rectangular groove in it which appears to have a set key that fits into it and the FSM calls it "pulley set key". I have called three dealerships and all they can give me is the woodruff key for the crankshaft timing gear. They say there is nothing else that goes on the shaft. So if there is no set key for it why is there a groove on the pulley..please help..i love my tacoma and take good care of it(i had not checked the torque as a maintaince procedure oops) I want to put it back right Please Help TY Justin
Old 04-25-2009, 12:46 AM   #2
NorCal Rock Whore
Killer Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Whatsurname
Killer Red Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I have never worked on the 3.4 v-6.

But I have worked on many bearings and pulleys. And many have the exact setup you have described. The square piece should be able to be bought at most parts stores, it should come in a long shaft that you can cut to size. you will need to measure the holes for the "key" size. I have also seen a few of the woodruff keys but on the pulley or shaft would only have a half circle cut out to fit the round side of the woodruff.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:08 AM   #3
Thanks for hitting me back, yeah I called my dad tonight and he said exactly what you said..I tried the hardware store today, but its weak selection, living in the foothills and all. I work with shafts and motors (eletric though) long and deal with set keys several times a week, i do A/C a for living. I was wondering why toyota can't help me, second if I have to try and fabricate a piece from stock how tight are the
tolerances. I don't want to screw up my pulley cause i was undersize a little, crankshaft is under a lot more force than I usually deal with and I just want to get it right. Thanks again Justin
Old 04-25-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Red Taco View Post
Not sure but, I am putting this out to Chris
You got it right. May need to get the part from an auto pat store. Dealers probably only see the part as a complete unit. Also, May want to try a junk yard. The key should be a standard size though.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:27 PM   #6
Well I have fashioned a "key" if you will. It does seem to help a little. I never had a problem with the pulley slipping on the crank anyways. But I got it torqued down as tight as i could. make-shifted a sterring wheel pulley to prevent the motor from turning, put it in 5th and 4 low and torqued till one of the bolts holding the puller to the pulley broke, I know its tight but how tight? I have been defeated in my attempts to find a torque wrench that goes over 150lbs for a figure I can afford. I still have the smallest wobble at idle 650-750rpm. Gone with any type of load. Do you think I should replace it, I hate to drop the cash and have it just be lack of torque. If I was only at say 160-180lbs of torque could that bit I am shy give me my wobble at low RPM. What do you think? I have had balancers go bad(actualy that is the only part to go out on me on multiple vehicals, funny) So I was just wondering what imput you fine people would be able to offer. So my Dad always likes to keep me guessing, he pointed out that when No1 is TDC that slot that I think needs something in it, is at the 12 o'clock position this allows the timing mark on the pulley to line up properly with the marks on the timing cover, so have I been over-thinking this. Miles gone by will tell. Thanks once again