1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will 880's fix my ride quality?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Phslion, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Nov 13, 2014 at 11:13 AM
    Phslion

Phslion [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5
    Ok i own a 2000 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab. 2.7L 4x4. 81K Miles.

two years ago i upgraded the suspension to OME 881's, Nitrocharger sports, and a leaf pack. Added Light racing UCA a bit later. It gave it a great lift.

But its made it a bit Harsh to drive, and ive been hoping it would soften with time but it hasn't and the harshness is driving me nuts recently.

Would swapping to 880s be most reasonable way to get back some comfort. or should i spend a bit more and go to 5100s and another coil?

I need input.

2. Nov 13, 2014 at 11:23 AM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    Yeah the 880's will be softer but won't provide much lift, if any. The problem is you have a reg cab 4cyl. Less weight. so upgrading to any other coil will only most certainly harshen the ride.

I'd say 880's are your best bet and I wouldn't recommend you go the Bilstein route. The only coils made for them are Eibachs and you'd get well over 3" of lift and a stiff ride to match. Even if you pair the Bilsteins with OME coils, the ride still sucks (ask me how I know).

3. Nov 13, 2014 at 11:45 AM
    Phslion

Phslion [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5
    I was talking to wheelers and they said this.

"Yeah, I would keep the coils and switch the struts and shocks out to the
    Bilsteins. You will like the ride much better. The OME Nitrocharger sport
    struts and shocks are valved pretty firm to give a sport oriented ride.
    Change the struts and shocks out and go from there. I think you will see a
    night and day difference between the two. If you have any other questions,
    feel free to ask!"

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  4. Dec 15, 2014 at 7:14 AM
    Phslion

Phslion [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5
    Ok it been a while but i have an mini update for others with a similar issues or concerns.

I just put a set of 4 p265/70r17 Cooper ATP's on my truck. Its crazy but its totally changed the ride quality. So smooth it feels like a totally new truck. It even mellowed out alot of the harshness of driving on the streets.

My old tires were a set of BFG Mud terrain jeep take offs 255/75r17 load C. tall and skinny tire. Great off-road and bearable on-road, horrible in snow and ice. They might do fine for a 6cyl double cab, they were far to much for a single cab 4 cylinder truck.

Im content now, but when the budget recovers ill probably still look into non nitro-charger sport shocks.

5. Dec 15, 2014 at 8:15 AM
    copacetic1

copacetic1 Don't get stuck on stupid.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 4X4 Dbl Cab
    Front: Bilstien 5100 / OME 880 Rear: Bilstein 5125 / Wheeler 5-leaf
    For what it's worth I changed out my stock coils and struts with 150K on them to OME 880s and Bilstein 5100s. I know they aren't designed for each other, but on the lowest notch on the struts I got about an inch lift and the ride is much better than the worn out stuff I had on it. I definitely wouldn't call it harsh, and it feels much more controlled than before. The truck is new to me so I don't have a reference for what the stock setup felt like new.

6. Dec 15, 2014 at 10:55 PM
    jkulysses

jkulysses Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    01' Tacoma 4x4 3.4l 5 spd
    When I bought my truck they had load range E tires on it & omg what a nightmare those were! I replaced them with C load range tires & it was a huge improvement. I also think sticking with 15" wheels so you have more rubber helps out a lot too.

Products Discussed in

To Top