1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

front struts - how to know when to replace them?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by keakar, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Nov 14, 2014 at 8:18 AM
    keakar

keakar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    I have a 2wd 99 extra cab regular car height 5 lugger with 120k miles and im wondering how to tell if the front struts are past their life.

its not like anything is telling me they are bad or causing problems but the reason I ask is when I look under the truck there is only about 1" of clearance between the bump stop and I am thinking it should have a bigger gap then that so are my struts sagging?

let me add the truck sits level and rides great and it doesn't feel like it ever bottoms out but I see clean spots where the bump stops touch on the arms so im sure there are times it does bottom out on large road dips.

so far I have flushed the ranny fluid, replaced oil and filter, fuel filter relocation and replacement, MAF sensor cleaning and air filter, belts and new idler pulleys, replaced the upper and lower ball joints and outer tie rods and did a front brake job and rotors, rear shocks, and replaced all three dry and cracked rubber brake lines, so im pretty close to covering all the maint issues and worn out parts on this old truck.

at $100 each for stock replacement struts, i don't want to change these "just for the heck of it" so am I worrying about nothing here with what "looks like" very limited travel space, or does it sound like I need new front struts to "renew" my suspension travel?

also I need to add that im sure these are still the original factory struts because they have Toyota stamped into the shock

I have never worked on struts so (I assume) you buy the whole thing as an assembly and don't try reusing the old springs?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  2. Nov 14, 2014 at 10:19 AM
    bry838

bry838 Well-Known Member

Member:
    oregon
    Vehicle:
    '00 tacoma 2.7 4x4 reg cab 5speed x's 2. '01 T4R 3.4 5 speed
    As far as there being hardly any upward travel that's the way they are...dumb hu? I thought the same as you when I got my first taco, replaced suspension...still no upward travel.

I've never bought stock struts/springs so I can't comment on that, someone will chim in here shortly and get ya straightened out.

PS I've never owned a 2wd so....but I'm sure they are very similar to the 4x4's as far as the bump stop clearance.

3. Nov 14, 2014 at 12:52 PM
    keakar

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    so could this be true? is there only 1" of travel in the front end?

4. Nov 14, 2014 at 2:13 PM
    Yetimetchkangmi

Yetimetchkangmi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    Newcastle, WA
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma 4x4 The Yeti
    ARB front locker, Custom high clearance rear bumper, Custom plate front bumper, mile marker winch PE8, safari snorkel, Deck Plate Mod Fox 2.5 rr DSC, Camburg UCA, squeaky Dakar leafs, 5125 10" and custom 7.5" shackles, thee finest PNW pinstripes, MT-R, Nissan crew cab roof rack??? wtf is that about??? Allpro skids, Rigid duallys President McKinley CB with PA Recaro SRD with Wedge Engineering Morimoto retrofits Champion Rad - Failed Tundra brakes
    Ride in someone elses that has changed out the suspension with new/fresh items.

5. Nov 14, 2014 at 2:18 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    ride height is controlled by the coils, not the shocks

to check if the shocks are dead, just push on the front end- shocks are just that- "shock absorbers", so if the truck bounces around a lot they're not dampening the movement of the coils, and need to be replaced.

seems like you need new coils, and it can't hurt to replace the shocks as well

6. Nov 14, 2014 at 2:39 PM
    keakar

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I was leaning towards 15 years old and 120k miles ought to justify replacing them just based on that but I just don't know about how to judge the condition of struts.

the truck doesn't bounce when pushed on but it comes up then settles down a hair so I wouldn't say it has a stiff suspension either. I would have to assume the shocks are worn out even though they still seam to be functioning ok if not dampening that much

Products Discussed in

To Top