1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bleeding Brakes/Caliper replacement

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by gabrielg, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Nov 15, 2014 at 10:44 AM
    gabrielg

gabrielg [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gino
    Central Vermont
    Vehicle:
    Black Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Hey everyone, Could find a good forum in the garage list so I though I'd just list it here in the 1st gen.

I'm gunna be installing a pair of new calipers and rotors on my truck. It looks pretty stright forward, but I've never had to bleed the brake before so I'm a little cautious. Anybody have any advice or tips I could learn from?

Also I am thinking about making the project into it's own thread because I have learned so much from everyone else that I feel like I should give back a little.

2. Nov 15, 2014 at 10:56 AM
    CD20H

CD20H Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab TRD 4x4 Limited
    Magnuson Kompressor, OME lift kit, JBA Headers, junky Sony radio.
    Look on Youtube. Watch a video. Perform what you watched and wammo.......your done.

3. Nov 15, 2014 at 11:06 AM
    gabrielg

gabrielg [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gino
    Central Vermont
    Vehicle:
    Black Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Yeah, That's pretty much the direction I'm headed. Pretty excited for the project though.

4. Nov 15, 2014 at 12:32 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    use the gravity feed bleeding method, its the best way when you are by yourself and you don't have to do all that pumping of the brakes.

I would add take a close look at your brake hoses for cracks and if you see any replace them at the same time.

when you get ready to do the work get a turkey baster or one of those infant nasal snot sucking bulbs to remove the old fluid with and carefully take out the screen in your master cylinder by gently prying on the front and back tabs that hold it in place. then suck out all the old fluid in there with your nasal sucker or turkey baster but before sucking it out take a look in it and if there is sediment sludge collected in there then use the turkey baster as a pump to squirt fluid around to stir it up and wash it all loose and suspended, especially towards the front part where you cant reach any other way, so you can suck it out with the old fluid. if the screen is dirty clean it with brake cleaner then let completely dry before putting it back in. when your work is finished fill the reservoir with fresh new fluid and bleed the system. doing things this way flushes and renews your whole brake fluid system.

look at these videos: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tacoma+gravity+bleed+brtakes

5. Nov 16, 2014 at 11:12 AM
    gabrielg

gabrielg [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gino
    Central Vermont
    Vehicle:
    Black Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Right on man, thanks for the link. I'll take a look at that when i get home from work.

Products Discussed in

To Top