1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hood scoop and snorkel

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TacoTuesdayyy, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Nov 16, 2014 at 4:12 PM
    TacoTuesdayyy

TacoTuesdayyy [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    04 TacomaV6 TRD sr5 Xtracab 4x4
    2.5 inch Leveling kit in front, 4x4 foot Smittybilt Defender roof rack sitting on custom built bed rack, Trail Gear Stinger bumper for first gen 4runner with adapter bracket, 2 inch shackle kit on rear leafs, Smittybilt 10,000 pound winch, Two 7" HID spots mounted on custom light brackets under stinger, Train Horn, 35x12.5x15 Cooper MTPs , Various LED Pods and 42 inch light bar.
    Is it stupid to have a good scoop and a safari snorkel???

2. Nov 16, 2014 at 4:16 PM
    wanna taco

wanna taco What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    Is it scoopy to snorkel a good hood and a stupid safari???

JMY24 likes this.
  3. Nov 16, 2014 at 5:05 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    It's your truck and the look you want to achieve.

If you want to put a dummy hood scoop on your truck, go for it. I love the look of low profile hood scoops and think it would look cool.

But I'm a function-over-fashion kind of guy so I wouldn't do it myself.

As for the snorkel, would it be a functioning snorkel or another "for looks" type of thing?

4. Jan 15, 2015 at 3:52 PM
    TacoTuesdayyy

TacoTuesdayyy [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    04 TacomaV6 TRD sr5 Xtracab 4x4
    2.5 inch Leveling kit in front, 4x4 foot Smittybilt Defender roof rack sitting on custom built bed rack, Trail Gear Stinger bumper for first gen 4runner with adapter bracket, 2 inch shackle kit on rear leafs, Smittybilt 10,000 pound winch, Two 7" HID spots mounted on custom light brackets under stinger, Train Horn, 35x12.5x15 Cooper MTPs , Various LED Pods and 42 inch light bar.
    The snorkel would be functional ARB snorkel.

5. Jan 15, 2015 at 4:23 PM
    PeterT

PeterT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Plymouth, NH
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD O/R Super White!
    AP APEX aluminum bumper, AP APEX Sliders w/fill plates, Full AP skids, OME 886/ Nitros dakar leaf pack, 33" BFG muds, Relentless 50" curved Light bar, PIAA fog lights, Fog lights anytime, tailgate lock, LEDs inside, tech deck, URD Spec U exhaust
    If you will never use a snorkel then I wouldn't put it on there.

that being said,
    have you crossed a river in a vehicle before that had a snorkel and needed it?

if you have not I recommend waiting until you have. its an experience. Water gets everwhere, places it was not designed to get. which can have its own problems.

most of my river crossings were while I was in the army, using a hummvee's. Which are made "rinse and reuse" so the water isnt too much of an issue for anything inside. (not my pic)
    images_7e1353df258fcbc2e708a1fed93c8d45d0ff76a2.jpg

but if you just want the snork for cool points and dont want plan on using it thats your choice too

6. Jan 15, 2015 at 5:59 PM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    Since the OP is in New Mexico I would guess the snorkel will be more useful for dust than for actual water crossings. Personally I like hood scoops if they're executed well. I've seen a few nice ones done on Tacomas. Most good ones take a fair amount of work.

If the question is regarding water intrusion through the hood scoop when you have a snorkel for trying to keep water out?......won't matter. Even without a hood scoop you will get water into the engine bay. If you're going to a snorkel is cheap insurance.

7. Jan 15, 2015 at 7:33 PM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    Unless you waterproof everything under the hood the snorkel won't do much for water.

8. Jan 16, 2015 at 10:26 AM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    Not really true. Sounds to me like you've never had a snorkel? You're not wrong exactly, and it's a good idea to do what you can to protect things like the distributor and other electricals from water but none of them will be quite as much of a concern. It's far easier for water to get into the stock intake. So even if you don't do any other waterproofing in the engine bay, a snorkel will still be a big help. The longer you're in the water the higher the chance of the electrical components being compromised. But for many crossings it's never an issue. Besides, if you do get water into the distributor it will stall the motor but not cause catastrophic damage. If you get water into the intake and hydrolock the motor then you will have catastrophic damage.

Myles G likes this.
  9. Jan 16, 2015 at 11:47 AM
    amocatdrt

amocatdrt Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Battle Ground, WA
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD SR5 4x4 Extra Cab 2.7 5spd
    2" blocks and leveling kit, 33" Toyo AT's, dash clock delete kit
    +1